Guest FourAces

Is Apple Todays Good Old Boys Club?

Guest FourAces

After thinking about the launch event for the new iPad and Apple TV I am starting to wonder if we are seeing the silicon valleys tribute to the good old days ... you know where everybody of importance was white and male :(

I cannot remember a Apple launch event where a woman was on stage much less a man of color.

What do you guys think?

You think it's something in the Apple culture, or just random? I don't know.

Looking across Silicon Valley in general...

...Meg Whitman did well at eBay, tanked as a political contestant. Could not even buy the election!

...Carly Fiorina was a successful Lucent sales exec, then just about drove HP into the ditch. Forced error if ever there was one.

...Carol Bartz did brilliantly at Autodesk, then found herself at a total loss what on earth to do to revive Yahoo. Or even how to dismember it in any way that would maximize value.

...the no-third-chancers? (Not really any kind of answer to your question, I know; just musings.)

I do know a fair number of women CEOs in tech who are half a generation younger than these three, and who are already successful serial entrepreneurs. It is a field where old-white-male vulture capitalists seem pretty gender-blind if they smell that you can make their money work for them.

Guest EXPAT

I know a lot of male executives who are uncomfortable working around women and its sad frankly. In my experience women executives are generally more prepared than their male counterparts. When I left Europe I replaced myself with a woman executive who did a fantastic job, but I told her that she would have difficulty with respect of her managers in southern Europe in particular. I gave her some advice on how to build that trust and it seemed to work but there was definitely a male wall when it came to female bosses.

• Members

At least Apple has some diversity vis-à-vis our community. But that's a good point, I can't think of ever seeing a Microsoft big wig of color either.

But then again, especially for the current, 1st and 2nd follow-on of the tech generation women opted out, saying there's no diversity in the tech leadership that grew out of it is like saying there's no diversity around a D&D table... Maybe that's changing now, but it'd be a little while 'till this generation is in the driver's seat (though a lot quicker than the old days!).

At least Apple has some diversity vis-à-vis our community. But that's a good point, I can't think of ever seeing a Microsoft big wig of color either.

In fairness to MS (and I am no particular fan), there have been a fair number of black and Hispanic VPs and just below over the years, going some ways back. Can't recall any women at that level, though.

Guest FourAces

Aren't Asians well-represented in Silicon Valley? That has been my impression.

Yes I believe they are however they do not seem to be in executive positions, well at least not at Apple.

• Members

This article is a couple of years old...

A Story of Limits

Whether American-born or foreign-born, Asian Americans have enjoyed a much-envied reputation for achievement in education and technology. However, the modern tale of Asian [1] success in American society obscures the fact that Asians have found it difficult to reach the highest levels of leadership in government, education, and business. For large companies in the Bay Area, this can become a business-impacting issue in the next 5 years as Asians continue to be the fastest growing segment of the Bay Area workforce, especially as technology and knowledge workers. This paper will provide a quantitative review of the slow progress made by the Asian executives in the largest Bay Area corporations and begin a qualitative discussion on underlying factors behind this phenomenon.

article on Asians

Yes, there does look to be a Jade Ceiling, as it were, in American big business in general. Unless you were smart and lucky enough to be a founder. E.g., Yahoo's Jerry Yang. Though come to think, I can't come up with any others.

The situation seems somewhat different in smaller companies, though, at least in newish tech companies I know of. Here, meritocracy of talent seems to count for more, and old-white-boy attitudes for less. Generational evolution.

Thanks for that paper, Lucky. Skimmed the first 2 pages; now about to go through all of it. Looks fascinating.