Guest FourAces

Do U Use A ATM Card?

Guest FourAces

I was speaking with a friend today and the subject of ATM cards came up. He does not use one at all. He uses cash or his credit cards only ... more so cash. He also has never taken a cash advance from one of his credit cards.

Fur me my ATM card is like cash, I use it everywhere I go and hardly carry cash on me. I cannot imagine not having it to use. I don't even remember what it was like prior to ATM cards. In fact, I almost never use my credit cards.

The downside of using a ATM card is protection ... it is not protected from fraud as your credit card is. And the protection each bank gives its customers differs greatly.

So do you guys use the ATM card, cash or credit card mostly?

Guest tomcal

I use it all the time here in the U.S! and when I am Brazil I use the citibank atm every day, as they don't charge a fee, you get the current exchange rate, and they have locations that are convienent both in Rio and Porto Alegre!

• Members

I never use ATM's for cash withdrawal, but, as a small business owner I find it convenient to deposit cash and checks after hours. The newest machines can take up to 40 bills at a time and you can feed multiple checks. I also get same day credit for deposits made by 8pm.

Guest EXPAT

I NEVER NEVER NEVER use an ATM card as a debit card and I would never recommend anyone else doing so either. If someone skims that card they have immediate access to your checking and savings account. And while the bank may say they will cover anything lost, you are then without it for months while they work out the issue.

I only use my ATM card for ATM cash withdrawals only.

I use my credit cards for all purchases preferably my AMEX cash back card and then I pay it off every month. that way if that card is stolen or skimmed then it's their money they've stolen, not mine.

Having worked directly in the debit / credit / ATM fraud prevention market for a number of years I know how it's done and how easy it is.

Guest CharliePS

I never use my ATM card as a debit card. In addition to the protection issues which EX-PAT mentions, I would find it too hard to keep track of the account balance. I actually use cash for all charges under $20 and many up to $50, above which I use a credit card (I pay the full balance every month) or write a check.

I never take a cash advance. I never carry cash. I usually use ATM to get cash on a regular basis.

The only time my CC info has been stolen was in Brazil at a amazing mall in Sao Paulo. So, I never use there or in Thailand. But, I do trust getting cash from an ATM if it is bank owned.

Guest hitoallusa

You are very sensible!

I never take a cash advance. I never carry cash. I usually use ATM to get cash on a regular basis.

The only time my CC info has been stolen was in Brazil at a amazing mall in Sao Paulo. So, I never use there or in Thailand. But, I do trust getting cash from an ATM if it is bank owned.

Guest Hoover42

I used to use debit and credit cards interchangeably for cash withdrawals as well as purchases, until someone used my debit card info to steal $1500 from my checking account.

I filed a police report, and the bank, BofA, restored the lost money, but I never heard from the police whether they found out how the crime was committed or who committed it.

Now, my debit card sits at home in a desk drawer, and I use my Amex card for everything including cash advances. I don't mind paying the cash advance fee.