JKane

How long until there is consensus in this country

Another example of why I don't like organized religion. You can be Christian as long as you are exactly the way they want you to be. I don't think that is what a Christian is. In fact none of these people who behave this way are Christians in my mind. And they will answer for that awful behavior eventually.

Guest hitoallusa

Not all religious people are bad. It's like saying looking at meth addicted gay guys who would do anything for money to buy drugs and saying that all gays are like that. EXPAT you are commiting the same logical errors that some religious groups commit against gays. It's like looking at some HIV gays and say that all gays are disease ridden. It's our responsibility to reconcile religion with our gay community. Yes we can criticize them but we have to find a way to get our message acrossed too. Reconciliation is something we need.

Not all religious people are bad. It's like saying looking at meth addicted gay guys who would do anything for money to buy drugs and saying that all gays are like that. EXPAT you are commiting the same logical errors that some religious groups commit against gays. It's like looking at some HIV gays and say that all gays are disease ridden. It's our responsibility to reconcile religion with our gay community. Yes we can criticize them but we have to find a way to get our message acrossed too. Reconciliation is something we need.

I never said all religious people are bad. What I said was organized religions are bad. I think the best religious people don't tie themselves to a church. What I find is that the people who run those churches are political in nature and want everyone to be just like them or they are not welcome. I have that exact personal experience at Rick Warren's church in Orange County. So practice your religion but don't force your views on others.

Guest Allessio77

If religions can not rid themselves of the hatreds that have sponsored and the ministers and priests that are the executors of that hatred, It should be attached and shunned by all thinking humans. In this country, which is tilting toward THEOCRACY as we speak, we need to abolish all tax benefits for any religions and make them at least stand on their own financial feet.

Guest hitoallusa

One of the reasons gay community is weak and powerless is because some gays really don't care about other gays. I am not asking for them to go out of their way to help and sacrifice but at least don't do things that harm others. Is that too much to ask? As women contributed a lot to society they gradually earned their rights. We will gain our rights but we need to contribute and be good examples. I believe that's a way to fight.

Guest hitoallusa

Well the priest stated his reason to her. It's not something to be angry about or take it personally. I think the media in this case is wrong to report the story this way. But the media being media, I don't think it's so surprising.

About 10 years ago I read an article in Times and I still remember that article because it had intentionally put in a photo of a hot naked guy standing in the with his dick covered by his hands. It was an article about gay and HIV. I don't know why that picture was necessary but that's how the media works. Stir up and get attention as much as possible. To make money people do awful things.

He added, “What’s wrong with a church that at the most vulnerable time of someone’s life, someone decides to make a stand in a public way about the state of their soul, without any conversation or inquiry — how can that be consistent with teachings about Christianity?”

I think it was right for the media to report this. It once again shows how anti-Christian these clergy really are. This needs to be exposed and chastised loudly and clearly.

Guest hitoallusa

But to them it's the right thing to do and they explain it to her. This may seem extreme but why can be the priest be applauded for sticking to his principles in that very difficult moment. If he is a person with heart then it must have been difficult for him to do what he has to do in that situation. He did it not because he is a bad person but that's what his consciences dictates bim to do. The writer failed to show that side of the story in my opinion.

• Members

I think that it should've been made clear to the woman beforehand that she'd be denied communion, it's a holy sacrament and all that, so she shouldn't have gone up for it.

But every other reported action of this priest is awful. And arbitrary.

For an organization with such a long *and recent* history of bad acts, the way the Catholics keep inserting themselves into this kind of stuff seems especially abominable.

But to them it's the right thing to do and they explain it to her. This may seem extreme but why can be the priest be applauded for sticking to his principles in that very difficult moment. If he is a person with heart then it must have been difficult for him to do what he has to do in that situation. He did it not because he is a bad person but that's what his consciences dictates bim to do. The writer failed to show that side of the story in my opinion.

I hate to make this analogy but serial killers often feel what they are doing is right. That doesn't justify their behavior either. What this priest did was wrong plain and simple and his belief that it was the right thing is also misguided. He needs to be taught right from wrong and in this case he is wrong.

Guest hitoallusa

It's wrong for us but according their doctrine and tradition what he did was right. I am no catholic so I'm not advocating their doctrine here. The priest had the right to refuse communion to this lady.

We don't call a soldier who killed enemies in battles a serial killer. He has justifiable principles and reasons to do so. The priest had also in this case.

• Members

It's wrong for us but according their doctrine and tradition what he did was right. I am no catholic so I'm not advocating their doctrine here. The priest had the right to refuse communion to this lady. [...]

I don't think anybody is saying he didn't have the right to refuse communion. Again, A, it should've been done ahead of time and B, everything else he did was 'look at me take a stand' theater which had no place in a fucking funeral.

Guest hitoallusa

The priest was not informed in advance she was lesbian. He find it out right before the ceremony. I do think it's unfair for him. Again I'm not defending Catholics but in this case the woman didn't care about the religious ceremonies and what they represent either. To her they might be simple ceremonies but for this guy, for this poor guy, it's something to die for and to live the rest of his life alone denying physical pleasure others enjoy. They are part of his life and everything. I don't understand why she can't see that and embrace that. If her feings were that important then please consider this guy's perspective too and asked him in advance whether it's going to be ok for him. She failed to do that and makes a big deal out it. Assuming without through thinking and planning is common these days and I find it unfortunate.

• Members

Neither Catholic custom nor Catholic doctrine required the priest to walk out on the mother's funeral mass, nor did they require him to refuse to say a few words and a prayer at the graveside. In fact, nothing he did that day is supported by Church law excepting only his refusal of communion and may fairly be attributed more to personal animosity toward gays rather than anything spiritual.

Hito, you may have had some favorable experiences with some devout twice-born but you should accept that not all folks wearing a collar are overflowing with the milk of christian love. :console:

Hitoall, being able and willing to turn the other cheek can be an admirable virtue. But remember that Jesus himself did not hesitate to storm into the Temple and vehemently, even violently (overturning the money lenders' tables) denounce practices and beliefs that he found corrupt and evil. Even though they were settled religious tradition among believers of that faith and time.

Guest hitoallusa

MsGuy , yes dear! I have to behave in front of you who could be my future husband. ^_^ But be warned, nagging starts once we get hitched. Lol thank you for your input!