Guest EXPAT

Jeb Bush warns the Republican candidates

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/jeb-bush-2012-gop-debate-republican-primary_n_1299190.html

I think Jeb Bush's warning was spot on. You appeal and focus too much on the far right in the primaries then you irritate the independents and the middle when it comes time for the general election. Of course if they were smarter they would know this already.

• Members

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/jeb-bush-2012-gop-debate-republican-primary_n_1299190.html

I think Jeb Bush's warning was spot on. You appeal and focus too much on the far right in the primaries then you irritate the independents and the middle when it comes time for the general election. Of course if they were smarter they would know this already.

This GOP is reaping the wild wind that they embraced with open arms during the TARP, stimulus, and health care debates. They ALL did, including the likes of Bush, George Will. McConnel... all of em not to mention Faux News. Most contributed actively, some passively by allowing it to happen without opposition. I said at the time they will pay for it eventually and clearly they are paying the piper now. Serves them right for embracing the crazies either wholeheartedly on many issues, eg. death panels, and on not disowning some of the outrageous stuff that went around, eg. birtherism. They had an opportunity to back away from it but they chose to use it and have come to own it. More correctly, it now owns them.

They continue to do it!!!! Look at the House Committee hearing on Contraception, the invasive sonagram bill in VA that got to be too much of an embarrassment for McDonald's VP aspirations. Look at the GOP controlled legislatures trying to disenfranchise likely democratic demographics. Look at the Presidential Primary candidates stumbling all over themselves to continue the embrace crazy shit. They espouse blatant lies to appeal to the crowds that demand to hear them. Unfortunately for them lots of moderates and indepedents are listening also.

Yep, they reaped the wild wind. Screw em. They need to crash and burn and rise out of the dust a sane responsible party that puts country ahead of party politics and recognize the outcome of elections. We need a viable responsible opposition party to reign in the Dem crazies who, unchecked, will emerge over time.

I hope the GOP will climb back up over the edge and return to fact based rhetoric and actions and sound governing principles. That will take some time and probably new people. I think we will have four years, at least, to watch that happen. The question is: Will that be enough?