Guest FourAces

Rhapsody?

Guest FourAces

Anyone here use the Rhapsody music service?

I'm thinking why do I care if I own a song or record these days when I can have them for as long as I want at $10. x month? Lets see $120. a year for unlimited music or $120. to purchase about 120 songs on iTunes....?

Growing up and even for many years after I had a huge record collection ... over 10,000 which I sold over the years. Mostly because I became tired of storing them or lugging them around when I moved.

I experimented with different services amd did try Rhapsody but they were new and did not have their act together. Now I'm thinking of giving their 14 day free trial a spin.

Any feedback or other services you guys use or see a reason not to go with my math?

I can't use those services because I have a taste in dance music remixes and most of the songs I want aren't on those services. So I have to get them from specialty stores or from iTunes now that they have started to carry certain dance mixes and remixes. So I'm not interested enough in basic tracks to buy a service when I can just listen to SiriusXM stations for most of that music (just not in the order I would like sometimes). But my iTunes library has about 32,000 songs in it and I see that doubling in the next 5 years but with specialty music most likely.

• Members

I also have a massive CD collection left over from olden days, they've been living in boxes in my storage unit for many years now. I copied them to mp3s and haven't looked back since.

I've been using Rhapsody for about 4 years now, ever since my dearest departed Yahoo Launchcast shut down, and overall I've been very pleased with it. I use the Rhapsody client (instead of the website) on 3 PCs and on my Android phone, they seem to have about 80%-90% of the music I'm looking for and I can download as much as I want to 3 devices. They also let me build up a streaming library of my favorites (kind of like the Google music cloud).

For a social music site, I prefer last.fm. It does a better job of predicting new artists I'd like based on previous listens, and for about $3/ month I have as much streaming commercial free music tailored to my tastes as I can handle. For dance mixes, I'm beholden to Shoutcast stations like BoysTown Live, Fusion Radio and MusicOne . A couple of music loving friends swear by Spotify but I haven't really tried it to comment.

Guest FourAces

xenophile the problem for me with services like last.fm is they stream music .. its not downloadable. Therefore if I'm on a flight or somewhere the Internet connection is poor I will not have access to music.

Whereas a service like Rhapsody allows actually downloads. Thus I can take my music with me.

I'm gonna give the free trial a shot. I'm thinking even if i find 80% that is leaves me with only 20% that I would spend on iTunes.

Guest FourAces

I can't use those services because I have a taste in dance music remixes and most of the songs I want aren't on those services.

Yep since your music is not as mainstream as what I probably like I an understand the route you have taken.