Guest EXPAT

Tired of "Linsanity" yet?

Tired of "Linsanity" yet? I bet ESPN wishes they had used better judgement on Friday after the Knicks lost when they posted the headline:

"Chink In The Armor"

The headline was up for only 50 minutes or so but they were inundated with complaints about the headline. And now groups are wanting more of an apology.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/19/espn-apologizes-for-racis_n_1287503.html?ref=impact&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

• Members

And they got it, rightfully so. The headline editor was fired and the anchor suspended for 30 days.

And to answer your rather rude question, absolutely not! Why do you think we would be tired of an amazing athlete who is stirring up the sports world and making Asian-Americans across the country proud?

Is it his Harvard education we should be tired of hearing about? Is it that he is in the news, or is it that he is Asian and in the news that should have us tired? He's accomplished a lot for a young man, and rather than begrudge him his current popularity, I am joining in and celebrating his success. And I am not even a basket ball fan.

• Members

And they got it, rightfully so. The headline editor was fired and the anchor suspended for 30 days.

And to answer your rather rude question, absolutely not! Why do you think we would be tired of an amazing athlete who is stirring up the sports world and making Asian-Americans across the country proud?

Is it his Harvard education we should be tired of hearing about? Is it that he is in the news, or is it that he is Asian and in the news that should have us tired? He's accomplished a lot for a young man, and rather than begrudge him his current popularity, I am joining in and celebrating his success. And I am not even a basket ball fan.

I don't think it was a rude question. I think the question was simply making the point that our media is ALWAYS overdoing, some might say hyping, stories that might have some merit, but that they beat to death 24 hours a day, day after day, whether Linsanity, Lohan, Houston, Obama crushing the catholic church, or whatever. I'm not faulting the subjects of the stories or making light of possible importance, just the way the media hypes things over and over and over as if there must be millions of uninformed people returning from the deserts or jungles hourly, who have missed the news.

FOr example, I'm not tired of Linsanity but I can do just fine hearing once a day any new developments in his game performance or relevant off court stories. I do not need to hear the same story or minor variations ten to twenty times a day, Nor do I need to hear stories by one media oulet about another medial outlet coverage of Linsanity.

There is only so much news that shakes the world. News about the news ain't one of them... unless the mainstream media were to actually publish the truth about the bias of Faux News Channel. That ain't gonna happen either.

If sports talk shows wish to chew the same fat over and over I have no objection. That is what those shows do. Anyone watching that mindless drivel in the first place probably won't care and maybe even flourishes on it. You find signs of life in the strangest places. :unsure:

Guest hitoallusa

The media has too many issues that we need anti-colored glasses to watch or read what they present. I don't want to start a controversial topic but the stability of society is always maintained by those who can control the media. It's a powerful entity and it's getting more powerful and greedy with the advancement of technology.

I have to be honest for nearly two weeks I thought Linsanity was about Lindsay Lohan and I intentionally ignored it because that was what I thought it was about. But then of all people, Kelly Ripa was showing some of the NY papers one morning on "Live with Kelly" and then I realized what they were talking about. I have to admit that I had quite the laugh to myself on how I jumped to conclusions on that one. But TY is right, the over saturation of stories/hype like this in the media including over use of the last name LIN in nearly every word now is getting ridiculous.

Even Saturday Night Live started off the show last night with a 5 minute skit using the name LIN in every word that they could think of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT80m10wuQY

• Members

What irked me was the us of the word "yet." Are we tired of Linsanity yet? That implies that we will necessarily tire of it. It may flame out, he may flame out, but that is as of yet unknown. I still admire A-Rod long after his command of the media waned.

I can agree with a different question, and that is media over drive. Are we tired of 24 hour cable repeating news over and over? They tend to grab onto one thing and not let go. So, to the extent that the media is over-hyping Lin, sure, we can tire of that. But not the individual.

Guest FourAces

Jeremy Lin had 28 points and a career-high 14 assists as the Knicks registered their most significant win of the season, against the defending N.B.A. champions.

A few of us here in Dallas are not very happy about Lin-Mainia :o