TampaYankee

Costco Tops List of Major Retail Chain Stores

I'm reading this article right now in the March issue of Consumer Reports. I have to agree. They have the cheapest gasoline in town. I buy all of my dry staples at Costco so much cheaper than anywhere else. And they do have some interesting food items as well. The only thing I haven't purchased at Costco is clothing. But I'm very tall so I usually can't buy clothes off the shelf anywhere but tall men stores.

I even buy my movie tickets for $2 - $4 cheaper there than at the movie theatre as well. And I use the AMEX / Costco membership card and manage to get $350 - $400 cash back net of the Costco membership fee every year as well. I think it's the best deal out there for almost everything. And what I don't buy there I get at Amazon.com which is also an amazingly cost effective store.

The lines waiting to buy gas at Costco are often so long you use up as much gas waiting as you save per gallon.

I have never experienced that but then I've learned when to go when it's not as busy (like never after work or before work).

• Members

I'm reading this article right now in the March issue of Consumer Reports. I have to agree. They have the cheapest gasoline in town. I buy all of my dry staples at Costco so much cheaper than anywhere else. And they do have some interesting food items as well. The only thing I haven't purchased at Costco is clothing. But I'm very tall so I usually can't buy clothes off the shelf anywhere but tall men stores.

I even buy my movie tickets for $2 - $4 cheaper there than at the movie theatre as well. And I use the AMEX / Costco membership card and manage to get $350 - $400 cash back net of the Costco membership fee every year as well. I think it's the best deal out there for almost everything. And what I don't buy there I get at Amazon.com which is also an amazingly cost effective store.

I agree 100%! Love Costco. And their return policy is so generous. I've bought some clothes at Costco with good results, have had very bad luck at big and tall, because in every fucking Casual Male I try I can find big or big and tall, but never just mostly tall which is kinda what I need now... but a lot of average sizes are getting longer as the average population height increases...

Just started with Costco Amex and all the executive/business membership stuff a couple months ago, so far so good.

I've found that different Costcos can sometimes have vastly different stuff, places like Van Nuys and the shiny new Pacoima store have a larger selection of staples and economy-type stuff, for example.

I've also heard they're good to work for. Certainly treat their employees better than the Walton empire, which is why Costco and Sam's Club ARE NOT THE SAME.

• Members

So many people think "I can't shop there for just myself or 2 people, can't buy everything in bulk like that" but they're WRONG. Yes, there are some things almost no sane person (without a mansion) buys at Costco, such as their massive packages of paper towels or toilet paper. But so many other things are a great deal and you know you'll use it up fairly quickly...

20+ packs of 1-liter water bottles for about $5. Great fresh meat, often comes pre-subdivided so it's easy to separate and freeze what you aren't going to use right away. Good selection of media and electronics--which are backed with by far the best return policy you'll find anywhere, and if you need glasses do yourself a favor and save several hundred dollars at Costco Optical!

It's also about when you shop, if you go on a weekend or weeknight it can be a zoo. But if you can go during the days it's usually very reasonable. And is a great place to have a cheap lunch, between the grazing (samples) and the food court! The gas is open before and after the store too.

Guest epigonos

JKane believe it or not I buy all my toilet paper and paper towels at COSTCO yet live alone in a 1200 square foot condo. Thank heavens I have lots of storage space thus I don't have to buy paper good very frequently. Fortunately I live nearly (not quite) within walking distance of COSTCO and use it as my neighborhood grocery store. I entertain a great deal and turned my hall closet into a pantry which accommodates all my dry goods, bottled goods and can goods. I hate having to shop every day so I even buy meats at COSTCO and cut it into individual portions and freeze it.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE COSTCO.

I agree. I buy all my paper products like paper towels and toilet paper from there as well. Buying them in bulk is so much cheaper than buying them one or two at a time from the grocery or walmart and Costco usually has $2.50 off coupons on top of their already low pricing as well. That was one of my big draws to Costco because that type of stuff is so much cheaper in bulk. I just store them in the garage until I need them.

• Members

Google "rudeness at Costco" and you will find that many people think like me- Costco has the rudest customers of any store in the world! They stop in the middle of the aisle to chat, they stop right in the entrance, they are pushy with those big carts, they leave those big carts anywhere they feel like it outside the store...etc, etc, etc!

Here is one guy's story:

Rudeness At The Costco: A Queer Guy Rant!

By The Queer Guy, October 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I will admit to loving costco as much as the next homo; I can usually find something there each time that I know I will like, need or use. But, I am not one that stocks up on things just to do so; I don't have room in my condo for that. But what I cannot stand about this place is the housewives; and you know who you are. You have nothing better to do or anywhere to be so you go to Costco for free-sample lunch! You guys are so freaking rude, it's unreal; let me explain!

First:STOP CROWDING THE PEOPLE MAKING THE SAMPLES! Come on ladies (and I use that term lightly) give her a break. If I was one of these little old ladies and had all these women rudely looking at me (as if I was inconvenience them by making them wait) I would loose it! Trust me, there are enough samples and if not, she will make more; It's not like she is giving away free samples of diamonds!

This brings me to my second point: When you crowd around the food, you block EVERYONE else from getting by! I actually experienced this today! As I approached the group of starved women, I said "excuse me" to this free sample seeker and she said "NO"! I couldn't believe it! I tried to explain to her that I wasn't trying to get in front of her, just trying to get by; she just stood there! REALLY?! If you are that hungry, then I will buy you lunch, what ever it takes, just get the hell out of my way!

It blows my mind that such a small thing (like a bite sized free food sample) will turn grown women into rude predators ready to pounce on anyone that gets in their way! Like these women, I do enjoy the samples, but I am not willing to be outright rude to others just to obtain a tasty treat! If you people actually realized how disgraceful you acted, I think you would be ashamed!

Be respectful of others, and observant of those around you. Some of us are not there to have a free sample lunches, but to actually buy things and get out as soon as possible! If you are waiting for a sample, then get out of the way; especially if someone says "excuse me"!

To those of you that are offended by this post, meet me at Costco; we'll have lunch! :-)

• Members

I was fairly annoyed that they didn't cancel the samples the day before the superbowl. Store was packed, sample stands and the usual stupidity they drew made it much harder than it had to be.

Some people are oblivious, but if you go early morning or in the evening the samples aren't even out.

• Members

That said, Costco is a MUST HIT when going to any gathering. Huge selection of stuff to bring, from trays of easy deserts to prepared Crudités/fruit to a massive selection (in most states) of alcohol at the best prices.

And the couple months before x-mas the gift baskets would be reasonable at twice the price!

It is true, even with the wide aisles I'm amazed at the number of people who just stop and stand and talk for ever. It's very strange that it seems like it must be OK to do that. At least they could move to a side aisle but no it doesn't happen. They just expanded the one near me and added a gasoline station (which I love) and now it is a bit easier to get around because they made the main aisles even bigger. I'm just glad they made the parking lot bigger too.