Guest FourAces

Perry Finally Losing Support In Texas

Guest FourAces

Thankfully something good came out of his attempt to become president :D

---------------

AUSTIN (AP) - A new poll shows Texas Governor Rick Perry’s approval rating in his home state at a 10-year low and more than half of Texans don’t want him to run for another term as governor. Forty-five percent said his failed campaign for the Republican nomination for president hurt Texas’ image.

The poll conducted January 21-24 was conducted on behalf of five Texas newspapers, that published the poll results Thursday.

Forty percent of Texans approve of the job he’s doing as governor, a 10-point drop from a year ago and less than Obama’s 43 percent statewide approval rating, according to the poll. The Fort Worth Star Telegram said the Democratic president’s approval ratings have showed little change in the past two years.

Another 40 percent said they disapprove of the job Perry is doing.

The poll found 53 percent said they don’t want Perry to run for a fourth full term in 2014. Since ended his campaign last week, Perry staff have said he could run for another term as governor.

According to the poll, Perry has lost ground among Republicans in a state dominated by the GOP. His approval rating among Republicans dipped from 73 percent to 60 percent, and among independents he fell from nearly half to 27 percent. Until earlier this month at the Iowa caucuses, Perry had never lost an election.

Perry ran for president as a socially conservative candidate and he boasted about his job-creation efforts and the economy in his home state. But he stumbled badly with several flubs on the campaign trail, including his notorious “oops” moment in a nationally televised debate when he couldn’t remember all three federal agencies he said he wants to cut.

The random telephone survey of 806 Texans, including 669 registered voters, has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

• Members

Thankfully something good came out of his attempt to become president :D

---------------

AUSTIN (AP) - A new poll shows Texas Governor Rick Perry’s approval rating in his home state at a 10-year low and more than half of Texans don’t want him to run for another term as governor. Forty-five percent said his failed campaign for the Republican nomination for president hurt Texas’ image.

Pardon me, but I believe it confirms it. Look at what Texas has done to its schools at the lead of Perry. They dropped to 43rd in the percentage of students graduating His hand appointed State Ed Commission has dumbed down the state curriculum by instituting creationism as science on an equal footing with evolution and removing Jefferson, the New Deal and many other basic American history events and people who do not fit in with the conservative evangelical view of values and society. Also, IMO he has awarded state contracts and land, mineral and energy rights to his business buds for no benefit to the state while receiving commissions in the way of political contributions and possibly some sweetheart deals on the side.

The Dallas Morning News has investigated a lot of those shenanigans and reported on them. I suspect Houston papers have too. He entered office a man of modest means and has become quite well-off in his years as Governor. I didn't know the job paid that well. :o He must have taken a second job to get that far ahead. :rolleyes:

Either the people can read and don't care, or do read and approve the state of affairs, or they don't read or cannot read and somehow remain in the dark, even with TV and radio. Any way you slice it, it paints the state with the same image of ignorance, corruption, and apathy. Just because Perry displayed outside of Texas what sort of boobs they have running the state downward and the electorate that put them in place repeatedly, they think it makes the state look bad.

It's like the boobs woke up surprised that the hog they've been in bed with smells and has fleas. And the guys milking the state contracts and resources just don't like the sunshine illuminating their useful idiot that helps them loot the state.

Forty-five percent said his failed campaign for the Republican nomination for president hurt Texas’ image.

Well, it is a well-deserved accolade, only 45% are waking up and smelling the 'definitely-not-roses'. Yeah, somebody has made the state look bad but I think the buck stops with the voters on this one. Perry makes THEM look bad. One term can be forgiven, but three!!!!!!! Aye, there's the rub!

Guest FourAces

I agree its sad how under his watch the state continues to fall a part. Before he ran for president they were talking fourth term for him. Thankfully that should not happen now. The conservatives here had loved the guy ... he is like George W Jr to them. Even from the same part of the state as the Bush family is.

I can only hope the backlash is strong enough that voters here will turn to a democrat next election and not just elect another version of Perry.

Guest CharliePS

I agree its sad how under his watch the state continues to fall a part. Before he ran for president they were talking fourth term for him. Thankfully that should not happen now. The conservatives here had loved the guy ... he is like George W Jr to them. Even from the same part of the state as the Bush family is.

I can only hope the backlash is strong enough that voters here will turn to a democrat next election and not just elect another version of Perry.

The only candidates the good people of Texas have chosen as governor for the past TWENTY YEARS are Rick Perry and George W. Bush. I think that says something about their ability to learn from experience.

• Members

The only candidates the good people of Texas have chosen as governor for the past TWENTY YEARS are Rick Perry and George W. Bush. I think that says something about their ability to learn.

Yeah, how the fuck do they go from Ann Richards to THAT?!

• Members

The only candidates the good people of Texas have chosen as governor for the past TWENTY YEARS are Rick Perry and George W. Bush. I think that says something about their ability to learn from experience.

Agreed. Rather than waking up I suspect the electorate as a whole only demonstrates a sensitivity to public embarrassment. The boobs will probably elect a lower profile version of Perry. This hypothesis will be confirmed or refuted by the next election.