Guest EXPAT

QUEEN - 60 years today

Queen Elizabeth celebrates her Diamond Jubilee today. She was made the latest monarch on Feb 6, 1952 when her father King George VI died.

According to this article there will be all kinds of celebration through out 2012. Only Queen Victoria has served the monarch 63 years. Queen Elizabeth is now the second longest serving monarch in british history.

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/02/06/192906.html

post-105999-026636300 1328583579.jpg

Guest CharliePS

I'll admit it: I vividly remember watching the coronation on TV in 1952. A quarter century later, I went to London for a party to celebrate the Silver Jubilee, which was lots of fun. Friends had a flat with a balcony overlooking the parade route, so we toasted her with champagne as she went by. The gay pubs and discos were jammed that night, and I vaguely remember ending up at an orgy in Mile End. Ah! those were the good old days, when it was fun to be a queen.

• Members

I too remember seeing the coronation on TV. The school I was attending set up a TV in the cafeteria and interrupted classes so we could watch.

I also happened to be in England in 1977 but I was on business and did not observe any of the celebrations. I do seem to remember the pound sterling was at a near term high that year, around 2.25, when before and after it often traded around 1.50 USD. One time in the next few years it actually hit par and briefly traded at I pound for 1 USD but that was for just a few minutes.

Best regards,

RA1