TampaYankee

One Million Moms to JC Penney: fire Ellen, she's gay

• Members

One Million Moms to JC Penney: fire Ellen, she's gay

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpeg By Joshua L. Weinstein | Reuters – Thu, Feb 2, 2012

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - One Million Moms -- a project of the American Family Association -- is very angry at JC Penney.

No, not because it sells sweater vests (heck, Rick Santorum is a fan of those), but because the Texas-based department store has hired Ellen DeGeneres as a spokeswoman.

And DeGeneres is -- cue the scary music -- gay, and open about it.

"Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families," the million (or so) moms write on their website. "DeGeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store. The majority of JC Penney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there."

One Million Moms is asking people to call JC Penney to complain.

With this campaign, One Million Moms, which claims to be "the most powerful tool you have to stand against the immorality, violence, vulgarity and profanity the entertainment media is throwing at your children," is going after one of the country's most-beloved television hosts.

The moms want JC Penney "to replace Ellen DeGeneres as their new spokesperson immediately and remain neutral in the culture war."

Fat chance, says the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Discrimination.

"A vast majority of Americans today support Ellen as well as their LGBT friends and family members," Herndon Graddick, a GLAAD spokesman said in a written statement. "Selecting an out performer who has inspired and entertained millions, is not only a smart business practice, but a reflection of how LGBT Americans today are an integral and valued part of the fabric of our culture."

DeGeneres' daytime talk show has more viewers than the American Family Association has moms. Between January 16 and January 22, "Ellen" averaged 3.38 million viewers -- or 2.38 million more people than the AFA has moms.

American Family Association did not return a request for comment.

(Editing by Chris Michaud)

See original article at:

http://news.yahoo.com/one-million-moms-jc-penney-fire-ellen-shes-173429894.html

I'm getting so tired of "Evangelistic Christians". I've never seen a religious group so full of hate and so full of "if you are not exactly like me then we will boycott you" ! This is exactly why I will never set foot in a church again (unless I'm at a wedding or funeral). Religion has been hijacked by a bunch of opinionated zealots. Of course that is who wrote the bible in the first place - a bunch of men who were trying to dictate their views on the world.

Michelangelo Signorile addressed this on his show yesterday and so many people called in and said that they hadn't shopped at JCP for years and they were all going to go and buy something there now.

I myself hadn't shopped their either in ages and yesterday I went online and the jeans I like are on sale there for $40 and the normal price I pay at the Tall man's store is $68 so they probably will get my future business as well. They changed their entire pricing philosophy on Feb 1 so it might be an interesting place to shop again. I generally can only shop at tall man stores since I have such long legs and monkey arms so you'd think I would have shopped there more recently but I haven't. But now I will.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/1-Million-people-who-support-Ellen-for-JC-Penney/171435642966371

The above page was created earlier this week to support Ellen and JCP and in just 2 days there are over 80,000 likes. So if you have a Facebook page I encourage you to like this page. It's already double the number of users that are on the Million Mom's page.

Here is an article on the growing support of this page:

http://www.trippedmedia.com/2012/02/support-for-ellen-growing-at-unprecedented-rate/

The Advocate is also following this story as well.

Ellen's JCPenney ads will start airing during the Academy Awards on Sunday. There will be 5 brand new ones. And Ellen shared some outtakes on her show on Friday.

Guest hitoallusa

Ellen is so adorable and gives out this image that she will be nice to you no matter who you are. I think she naturally has in her to be an entertainer.

Guest EXPAT

One Million Moms (current membership: 40,000, but it's good to have goals) is upset with JCPenney again, and want their angry moms to harass store managers about the lesbian moms in the Mother's Day circular. Because their last JCPenney protest went so well. And having worked in retail management for many, many years, I can assure you, the store managers do not care at all your opinion of corporate advertising.

Guest hitoallusa

I don't think harassing is a good choice of word. They are simply recommended to ask questions.

[quote name=EXPAT' timestamp='1336147490'

post='58893]

One Million Moms (current membership: 40,000, but it's good to have goals) is upset with JCPenney again, and want their angry moms to harass store managers about the lesbian moms in the Mother's Day circular. Because their last JCPenney protest went so well. And having worked in retail management for many, many years, I can assure you, the store managers do not care at all your opinion of corporate advertising.