KYTOP

Tyler Clementi'a Suicide story from the New Yorker

• Members

There is a very good story on Tyler Clementi's Suicide from New Yorker magazine. It is very detailed and I think a balanced story of what appears to have happened to the gay Rutgers student and the webcam spying by his dorm mate. It is quite long but something I'd recommend you read:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/02/06/120206fa_fact_parker?currentPage=all

• Members

Very complete article. It's a touching story. But still a lot of mystery to me of the thought process that led to Tyler making that terrible decision. I think his sensitive nature must have been wounded for a very long time which he protected by not socializing much to the point of isolation. It's remarkable to me that the twitter age has led to less real communication between people. The tweets as a stream of consciousness shows the potential of stripping one of one's own privacy. Sharing personal thoughts before being fully thought out is dangerous. It seemed that he and his roommate never got to know each other and personal boundaries were not respected. I don't have too much sympathy for the electronic peeping roommate, but it's sad to see how badly he's ruined his own life as well.