Guest EXPAT

Cynthia Nixon. . .Genetic or not. Gay won't go away

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/opinion/sunday/bruni-gay-wont-go-away-genetic-or-not.html?_r=1&ref=opinion#

Cynthia Nixon created quite a firestorm last week when she said in the New York Times Magazine that she didn't consider herself straight or gay. She said 'she's been straight and gay and gay is better'. She also said that she won't be labeled bisexual either because no one likes that moniker.

I suspect that she is truly bisexual and it's as simple as that. But this OP-ED is interesting discussion on the matter.

• Members

I think the real firestorm is because she states she "chose" to be Gay. This is something that Gay people have been fighting forever it seems. Her comments just add ammo to all those that say being Gay is a life style and that it is a choice. Especially the religious arguements made by so many and other anti-gay advocates. She mentioned not labeling herself as Bi because many gay people's negatives related to the term but instead says she chooses to be Gay. I think that many Gays have negatives about Bisexuals because of that very reason. Being Bi means you can choose to be with the opposite sex and be content therefore blowing the "I was born Gay" arguement up in many Gay people's eyes.

• Members

And, TODAY she says:

"My recent comments in The New York Times were about me and my personal story of being gay. I believe we all have different ways we came to the gay community and we can't and shouldn't be pigeon-holed into one cultural narrative which can be uninclusive and disempowering. However, to the extent that anyone wishes to interpret my words in a strictly legal context I would like to clarify:

"While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship."