Guest EXPAT

Christina Aguilera at Etta James funeral

Christina Aguilera at the Etta James funeral this past week singing "At Last". But it begs the question. . . Just because you can sing a note, must you?

• Members

Christina Aguilera at the Etta James funeral this past week singing "At Last". But it begs the question. . . Just because you can sing a note, must you?

In principle, I thought it a fitting tribute to Ms. James. It would have been an even better tribute if sung in the style of Etta and not CA -- a little more sultry and a little less soul agony, a little of each. And what's with the boobs contrasted with a black dress signifying mourning. Isn't that a bit of a mixed message? :blink:

It may have been a fitting tribute but Christina's singing is so over the top any more. We all know she can sing but being so melodramatic with every note is beyond irritating for a vocal enthusiast like me. She has really become an annoying artist. Just sing the song I say, don't act it out in every possible nuance at the same time. PLEASE !!!

• Members

The singing has been widely criticized at the towleroad.com blog:

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/01/watch-christina-aguilera-sings-at-last-at-etta-jamess-funeral.html

Incidentally, Andy Towle, the blogger, uses the very same line that EXPAT does. Coincidence?

"This was yesterday in LA. On the one hand: Very impressive, in an athletic way. On the other: Just because you can sing a note, must you?"

Her vocal acrobatics have always driven me crazy. It's so distracting to the songs she sings and it's so unnecessary especially for her since she CAN sing.