JKane

Really starting to enjoy the Republican Primaries!

• Members

Here's hoping they go on and on and on! Usually I detest how early the process starts and everything out of these vile asshole's mouths.

But the longer they rip each other to shreds the less time they'll have to rip the country to shreds with 'death panel' type bullshit!

1281643858lRB40H.jpg

It is the best reality TV on the air. I get a kick out of how the announcer at CNN introduces the show. It's just like I'm watching "KIm & Chloe take Manhattan" on E!

• Members

While watching the Republicans does everyone have such short memories that they forgot about the Obama/Hillary bitch fest 4 years ago. The 3am phone call commercial, the fight over Florida delegates that the DNC took away from Hillary. But yet they united for November as I expect the Republicans will as well. And all the debates and mud slinging really just get them more hardened and prepared for whoever fights Obama in November. Sort of like a very good hard practice before the big game. I think the process is actually helping prepare the Republicans for the Big fight.

• Members

While watching the Republicans does everyone have such short memories that they forgot about the Obama/Hillary bitch fest 4 years ago. The 3am phone call commercial, the fight over Florida delegates that the DNC took away from Hillary. But yet they united for November as I expect the Republicans will as well. And all the debates and mud slinging really just get them more hardened and prepared for whoever fights Obama in November. Sort of like a very good hard practice before the big game. I think the process is actually helping prepare the Republicans for the Big fight.

Oh yes, I do recall and I do not preclude that happening again. But there are a few differences.

First, Newt has taken it very very personally and Mitt has dished it very very personally. Newt may not be the forgiving type at this stage in his life, his last opportunity to run due to age. More importantly, IMO, is the way the establishment has dumped on Newt. Losing candidates usually do not want to alienate the party establishment, thus they manage to come together in the end and eventually patch up differences with the winner. With the establishment I see no reconciliation there so no incentive for Newt to make nice in the end unless...

Newt might come into the fold if he were promised an important position in a Romney administration. Short of that I see nothing tempting Newt but revenge.

However, even more important are the grass roots folks who feel their candidate was unfairly lynched by the establishment that these people didn't much like in the first place. (Recall that some Hillary women's groups went over to McCain in protest of Obama's win.) Some of Gingrich grass roots people may stay at home. Many will probably have little motivation to go the extra mile to donate hours and money to the campaign.

In the end, I expect most will come together behind Romney in some fashion but I really do believe that a lot of passion that another candidate could have enjoyed will not be seen by Mitt. That along with Paul drop outs could make a difference.

Guest CharliePS

With Obama and Hillary, the attacks were always over political positions and actions, not the slashing personal attacks about moral integrity that Newt and Mitt have engaged in. The rhetoric in this campaign is more outrageous than anything seen in my lifetime. I don't see how Newt and Mitt could credibly endorse one another, much less work together, after some of the things they have said.

• Members

Newt might come into the fold if he were promised an important position in a Romney administration. Short of that I see nothing tempting Newt but revenge.

On further reflection I don't think Newt's grandiose ego would settle for anything under VP and that is out of the question. Mitt would need a food and beverage taster for sure. :yes:

A more likely motivation to get in line: the establishment threat to cut off Newt from speaking and politics-related income in coming years. They could put a big hurt on him if he cares about that. He wouldn't starve but many arenas could be cut off.

I hope he chooses to Kamikazee his way through the convention, taking no prisoners. He's rich enough. Who knows, I might buy his coming book 'How I Torpedoed Lyin' Mitt and Pissed on the Establishment' to help him out. I can always use another paper weight. :P

Guest BewareofNick

I'll be very surprised if Newt comes into the fold at the end. He's pretty much a spoiled brat and as much as he decries scorched earth tactics, he's one of the masters of them. This will only get uglier as time goes on.