Lucky

My First Ebook!

• Members

Yes, I had planned to be a diehard, sticking to the hard copy of a book until they didn't make them anymore. Then Oz showed me his Ipad2, with the Google translate app, and it seemed just right for my trips to foreign countries. I do like it, a lot.

So I saw that the new George Pelecanos novel (What It Was) is being offered as an ebook for just 99 cents! My library doesn't have it just yet, and I like Pelecanos a lot, so I took the leap and bet 99 cents that I would enjoy reading an ebook. It's going to be a bit weird for me though.

So, I am using the Ibooks app on the Ipad. This leads to my question for Oz- why do you have the Kindle App on your Ipad if they have ebooks available on Ibooks?

Guest FourAces

Lucky first let me welcome you to the digital age ^_^ You have been ever so slowly creeping our dark way and when I saw you purchased the iPad I knew we had you :P

I cannot answer for OZ but can give you a general answer to your question. Most digital book readers probably began with Amazon's Kindle. Just as most digital music collectors most likely began with the iPod.

As the Kindle evolved and the iPad was released this left those who had purchased both with a bit of a issue. The Apple Bookstore and the Amazon Bookstore are not compatible. Also, many people had begun reading books on their Smartphones. So Amazon released the Kindle App which allows for those who want to remain with that format to do so.

Another reason one might want to remain with the Kindle format is convenience. Sometimes people do not wanna even carry a tablet around. They just want to grab something light and smaller to read at the local coffee shop or park. Therefore, they grab their Kindle in those situations that they do not want to use a tablet.

From another view if you are using a Droid you can also download and use the Kindle App. However you have no option to read your purchases at the Apple Bookstore anywhere other than on a Apple product.

Hope this holds you over till OZ gets back to you.

I also recommend having both the iBooks app and the Kindle app. I have found that books may be cheaper on one site than the other. That way you have a shopping choice on your iPad2.

So, I am using the Ibooks app on the Ipad. This leads to my question for Oz- why do you have the Kindle App on your Ipad if they have ebooks available on Ibooks?

I have tons of books on my Kindle and I use the Kindle DX. I like it and didn't want to loose them. I also want my family to be able to use my books on their Kindle so I always buy from Amazon and the Kindle App allows me to view on my computer, my Ipad and my computer.

I love my Ipad but it was just better sense for me to buy from Amazon and use on all devices.

• Members

I agree, for books you may be better off sticking to Kindle, keeps your books portable across a broad range of devices, including cheap e-ink ones that are a lot better for long form reading than backlit LCDs (like the iPad and all laptops).

Guest FourAces

I actually published my first e-book some months back. It had some of my off-center humor pieces in it.

Gcursor

This fascinates me. I've been looking into doing something similar. Do you care to share the book title or if not in the open forum maybe message it to me? If not I understand.

Guest gcursor

In reference to 4aces and Lucky, I am honored by your request. I've been accused of having a very acerbic slightly off-center wit that is unpredictable at times. The reason I wrote this book was so I could do it and freely express myself. As such, I wrote my book under a pseudonym which will stay hidden. I would be worried for my future job and other things if people linked me to online sites (such as here) and to the book that I published. It was a very well thought out decision for me and one that I will stand by.

For most of you, it might be a lark to look at my book and say "Wow..I know this person kind of." However for me, it's the culmination of a dream that I've had for some years. I have no doubt that if it were to sell really well then somebody would come out and do something to ruin my life for me for whatever reason. I plan to ensure my well being.

Thanks for the support however,

gcursor

• Members

why do you have the Kindle App on your Ipad if they have ebooks available on Ibooks?

I have found that Amazon has a much larger library of available books. Sometimes you will find that the book you want is not available in the ibook store. Amazon will usually have it. Plus I just like the kindle app better for some reason. IBoth apps are free so I have both..

Guest hitoallusa

Well you can write some more on here and share your talent. I love your humorous posts.

In reference to 4aces and Lucky, I am honored by your request. I've been accused of having a very acerbic slightly off-center wit that is unpredictable at times. The reason I wrote this book was so I could do it and freely express myself. As such, I wrote my book under a pseudonym which will stay hidden. I would be worried for my future job and other things if people linked me to online sites (such as here) and to the book that I published. It was a very well thought out decision for me and one that I will stand by.

For most of you, it might be a lark to look at my book and say "Wow..I know this person kind of." However for me, it's the culmination of a dream that I've had for some years. I have no doubt that if it were to sell really well then somebody would come out and do something to ruin my life for me for whatever reason. I plan to ensure my well being.

Thanks for the support however,

gcursor

• Members

Reading the ebook was easy enough to adjust to, but what kept screwing me up was touching the darned Ipad in places that caused the pages to turn when I didn't want them turning. Or grabbing the Ipad and accidentally turning it off. You don't have to worry about that with paper books!

But I liked knowing how many pages were left in the chapter, or the book, and having the Ipad start me back at the page I had stopped reading.

As for the book, What It Was, well, it's an interesting look back at a certain time in Washington D.C.'s black neighborhoods, with a white police detective trying to adjust to a community that was now 80% African-American. Author George Pelecanos peppered the story with references to songs of that time and displayed a love affair with the old fifties vehicles.