JKane

How will Dems avoid the same disaster in 4 years?

• Members

The Republican party is self destructing in front of our eyes, it's hard to imagine anything but major losses for them this cycle...

And there don't seem to be any exciting up and comers over there for 4 years from now either!

But 4 years from now what happens on the Democratic side?

I'm sure some will support Biden, but even if he's up for it it's hard to imagine that much enthusiasm, or him not being a gaff-a-minute in a presidential campaign...

There'll almost certainly be some die-hards promoting Hillary *still*, but it sure seems like she'll be used up by then.

I hated to learn that Gov. Granholm took a TV job (hopefully that will always be the end of any politician's serious chances!) but now that I know she was born Canadian there was no way for her to go further anyway.

But what about Elizabeth Warren for President, 2016? I just worry that her enthusiasm lets the media 'Howard Dean' her.

Any other interesting possibilities, either side?

I still think that an interesting September 3 Democratic National Convention surprise will be that Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden will swap places. I still believe this is a real possibility and if I were Obama I would do this without question. It would really excite the base and then we would have a real candidate to follow in 2016 should Hillary choose to do it. Even if she doesn't choose that route, she would re-energize the party as Obama's running mate.

Remember, you heard it here second (it was already predicted by a number of people as I posted a month ago).

• Members

I'd still like to see Clinton swap places with Obama. Let her run in 2012 and 2016, while he becomes Secretary of State. He can then return in 2020 for his second term as President. Between them, they'll have twelve years to groom a couple of VP's for a run in 2024 and beyond.

By that time, maybe the Republicans can figure out how to stop embarrassing themselves.

heilbeck.jpg

Guest CharliePS

How many people in 2004 were talking about Obama getting the nomination in 2008? He was still a young state senator running for the Senate. I suspect the 2016 nominee will be someone few are talking about right now. Biden will be 74 by then, probably too old, unless something happens to Obama in office and he succeeds to the Presidency. Hillary will be close to 70 and probably worn out. One of Obama's advantages was that he appeared young and fresh compared to the elderly veteran McCain, and the last thing the Dems will want is someone who has been around a long time against a fresh face like Rubio--unless the GOP does its usual coronation of an old loser.

• Members

Actually, a lot of people (myself included) noticed Obama when he spoke at the convention in 2004. That's what makes it so sad for Repubs, they've not got anybody even in the wings--every time somebody fresh comes up (Bobby Jindall, anyone?) they fall flat on their face soon after.

• Members

... --unless the GOP does its usual coronation of an old loser.

I doubt that is in the cards next time given the losing class of 2012... or the class of losers, meaning lack of class as in gravitas.

I do not think the GOP establishment will be quite so laissez faire for so long next time around. Gingrich has really scared the shit of em!! They are engaging in all out warfare to undermine Newt which is doing great damage to party cohesion. That could likely cause Mitt a loss in the General that he might otherwise win. It's certainly a big gamble anyway.

They probably would have done the same to any of the other candidates if they became a serious threat to Romney. The irony is that the establishment really didn't want Romney but he is the best of a bad lot. He cleans up well for a night on the town or at a joint session of Congress, compared to the others who are clowns of one fashion or another.

• Members

Actually, a lot of people (myself included) noticed Obama when he spoke at the convention in 2004. That's what makes it so sad for Repubs, they've not got anybody even in the wings--every time somebody fresh comes up (Bobby Jindall, anyone?) they fall flat on their face soon after.

Watch out for Paul Ryan in 2016 and the New Jersey blowhard, Christie. The present VA Governor will make an attempt too and fail. Rubio has potential but too early to say if he'll be ready.

I think you are right about Chris Christie. However his strange request to his legislature to not even bring the gay marriage bill to his desk and that people should vote on the issue shows that he clearly is doing what the far right expects instead of what a real leader would do.

This is his first big mistake for him to stand out. Trust me the NJ politicians are not happy that once again NY is getting all of the economic benefit of gay marriage.

• Members

I think you are right about Chris Christie. However his strange request to his legislature to not even bring the gay marriage bill to his desk and that people should vote on the issue shows that he clearly is doing what the far right expects instead of what a real leader would do.

This is his first big mistake for him to stand out. Trust me the NJ politicians are not happy that once again NY is getting all of the economic benefit of gay marriage.

Maybe NJ will pass half a gay marriage law going after the gay divorce dollars. :P