Guest FourAces

The End Of RIM?

Guest FourAces

The co-CEOS of Research In Motion stepped down Sunday night amidst internal pressure to get out of the way. Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis (founder)named Thorsten Heins, previously the company’s chief operating officer, as the company’s new CEO.

Most people know RIM as the company that makes BlackBerry Smartphones. A one time leader of the pack RIM has continued to see its market share fall as quickly as its stock. The Canadian based company has made many mis-steps in its quest to regain its dominance in the mobile industry.

Major failuers have included the continued release of outdated hardware and OS plus their entry into the tablet field with the BlackBerry PlayBook. The PlayBook could not even support native email, one of RIM's biggest technology innovation and investments, without the use of a BlackBerry Smartphone.

Most recently the company has announced BB10 OS which will be based on the QNX OS that is currently running on the PlayBook. The BB10 Smartphone OS is not expected to be released til the end of the year. Whats astounding about BB10 (btw they skipped OS8 8 & 9) is it cannot support RIMS most avid customer base that being Enterprise users and those companies and governments that control hundreds of thousands of BlackBerry Smartphones via BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Instead the company will be switching to the old technology known as Microsoft's ActiveSync.

Though they have no debt and close to three billion in cash on hand I and most mobile technology analyst do not see a future where RIM survives. Rumors of a take over by Samsung or Microsoft have not amounted to anything more than speculation at this point. Even the firms new CEO states no drastic changes are needed ... therefore eliminating any real advancements one can expect from this once flagship company.

The evolution of technology demands more than what RIM is willing to offer. For some reason those in charge cannot see or do not want to accept this. Thus leaving Research In Motion as one more tech giant headed for the graveyard.

Sorry I have to go into the gutter for a minute. When I saw the title of the thread I thought someone said you couldn't rim anymore. I was like OMG what would I do now!?!?!?!

But now that I know RIM as Research in Motion. . .

The biggest management mistake after great success is complacency and ignoring trends and I believe the problem at RIM is simply that.