Guest EXPAT

Academy Award Nominations

Academy Award nominations 2012

The nominees for the 2012 Academy Awards were announced on Tuesday morning, and as expected, films about films led the way.

The "Artist," the silent, black and white tribute to old Hollywood earned a nod for Best Picture, for which, after a series of recent critics and guild award wins, it's considered the favorite. Writer/director Michel Hazanavicius received nominations for both Best Director and Best Original Screenplay. Jean Dujardin was handed a bid for Best Actor for his turn as George Valentin, a silent film star who refuses to move into the era of the talkies; he earned the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical/Comedy earlier this month. Bérénice Bejo, for her role as starlet Peppy Miller, earned a nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

"Hugo," Martin Scorsese's 3D family homage to film preservation earned 11 nominations.

"The Descendants," the Alexander Payne-directed dramedy considered the other top awards contender, was also nominated for Best Picture; Payne earned a nod for Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, the latter of which he shares with writers Nat Faxon and Jim Rash. George Clooney, who stars as a beleaguered father, soon-to-be-widower and trustee of sacred family land in Hawaii, earned a nomination for Best Actor; he was awarded the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Drama earlier in January.

"The Help," the tale of domestic workers in segregated Mississippi at the beginning of the Civil Rights era, also earned a Best Picture nod, as well as a nomination for Viola Davis for Best Actress and nods for Jessica Chastain and Octavia Spencer for Best Supporting Actress.

"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close," the polarizing film about a boy in search of a secret from his father after he died on 9/11 earned a surprise nod for Best Picture, while Steven Spielberg's "War Horse" also slipped in.

"Bridesmaids" earned a nomination for Best Original Screenplay for Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo, while Melissa McCarthy got a nod for Best Supporting Actress.

Relative newcomer Rooney Mara got a nomination for Best Actress for her chilling turn in "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," though director David Fincher was left out.

Terrence Malick's artistic and polarizing "The Tree of Life," which starred Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain -- who earned nominations for other films -- got a nomination for Best Picture; Malick earned a nod for Best Director.

Here's the entire list of nominees:

Best Picture

"The Artist"

"The Descendants"

"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

"Hugo"

"Midnight in Paris"

"The Help"

"Moneyball"

"War Horse"

"The Tree of Life"

Best Actor

Demian Bichir, "A Better Life"

George Clooney, "The Descendants"

Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"

Gary Oldman, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"

Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"

Best Actress

Glenn Close, "Albert Nobbs"

Viola Davis, "The Help"

Rooney Mara, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"

Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"

Michelle Williams, "My Week With Marilyn"

Best Supporting Actor

Kenneth Branagh, "My Week With Marilyn"

Jonah Hill, "Moneyball"

Nick Nolte, "Warrior"

Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"

Max Von Sydow, "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

Best Supporting Actress

Berenice Bejo, "The Artist"

Jessica Chastain, "The Help"

Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids"

Janet McTeer, "Albert Nobbs"

Octavia Spencer, "The Help"

Best Director

Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"

Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"

Terrence Malick, "The Tree of Life"

Alexander Payne, "The Descendants"

Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"

Steven Spielberg, "War Horse"

Best Original Screenplay

Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"

JC Chandor, "Margin Call"

Asghar Farhadi, "A Separation"

Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"

Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo, "Bridesmaids"

Best Adapted Screenplay

Alexander Payne, Nat Faxton, Jim Rash, "The Descendants"

John Logan, "Hugo"

George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon, "The Ides of March"

Aaron Sorkin, Steven Zaillian, "Moneyball"

Bridget O'Connor, Peter Straughn, "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"

Best Animated Feature

"A Cat In Paris"

"Chico & Rita"

"Kung Fu Panda 2"

"Puss in Boots"

"Rango"

OK. I must be an idiot. I see Tree of Life is nominated for Best Picture. I thought it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life and one of only 2 movies I walked out on and couldn't wait to leave. I guess I just don't have the smarts that the nominators do. If it wins, I think I will pack up and move to the Amazon.

Here are the rest of the nominations. Madonna was completely snubbed for W.E. including her song. Well she did get costume design. . .

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)

"Hell and Back Again," Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner

"If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front," Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman

"Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory," Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky

"Pina," Wim Wenders and Gian-Piero Ringel

"Undefeated," TJ Martin, Dan Lindsay and Richard Middlemas

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)

"The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement," Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin

"God Is the Bigger Elvis," Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson

"Incident in New Baghdad," James Spione

"Saving Face," Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

"The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom," Lucy Walker and Kira Carstensen

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

"Dimanche/Sunday," Patrick Doyon

"The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore," William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg

"La Luna," Enrico Casarosa

"A Morning Stroll," Grant Orchard and Sue Goffe

"Wild Life," Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

"Pentecost," Peter McDonald and Eimear O'Kane

"Raju," Max Zähle and Stefan Gieren

"The Shore," Terry George and Oorlagh George

"Time Freak," Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey

"Tuba Atlantic," Hallvar Witzø

ART DIRECTION

"The Artist," production design: Laurence Bennett; set decoration: Robert Gould

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2," production design: Stuart Craig; set decoration: Stephenie McMillan

"Hugo," production design: Dante Ferretti; set decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo

"Midnight in Paris," production design: Anne Seibel; set decoration: Hélène Dubreuil

"War Horse," production design: Rick Carter; set decoration: Lee Sandales

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Guillaume Schiffman, "The Artist"

Jeff Cronenweth, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

Robert Richardson, "Hugo"

Emmanuel Lubezki, "The Tree of Life"

Janusz Kaminski, "War Horse"

COSTUME DESIGN

Lisy Christl, "Anonymous"

Mark Bridges, "The Artist"

Sandy Powell, "Hugo"

Michael O'Connor, "Jane Eyre"

Arianne Phillips, "W.E"

FILM EDITING

"The Artist," Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius

"The Descendants," Kevin Tent

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

"Hugo" Thelma Schoonmaker

"Moneyball," Christopher Tellefsen

MAKEUP

"Albert Nobbs," Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2," Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight and Lisa Tomblin

"The Iron Lady," Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)

"The Adventures of Tintin," John Williams

"The Artist," Ludovic Bource

"Hugo," Howard Shore

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," Alberto Iglesias

"War Horse" John Williams

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

"Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets," music and lyrics by Bret McKenzie

"Real in Rio," from "Rio," music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown; lyrics by Siedah Garrett

SOUND EDITING

"Drive," Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," Ren Klyce

"Hugo," Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon," Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl

"War Horse," Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

SOUND MIXING

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson

"Hugo," Tom Fleischman and John Midgley

"Moneyball," Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and Ed Novick

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon," Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin

"War Horse," Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson

VISUAL EFFECTS

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson

"Hugo," Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning

"Real Steel," Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg

"Rise of the Planet of the Apes," Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon," Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier

I'm rooting for Rango for animated. Haven't seen a single one of the others, but Rango was so awesome to look at and such a nice departure from the usual animated movies.

I really wanted "The Adventures of Tin Tin" to be nominated and win. I know that this story is much more popular in Europe than here. But it did win the Golden Globe after all. So I'm disappointed that it didn't get nominated. I frankly didn't see any of the other animations.

And Oz I agree about "Tree of Life". It was so bizarre. I rented it and regretted it immediately. I think the Academy is having a love affair with Brad Pitt right now not only because he is gorgeous but he is doing so much philanthropy and I know that is appreciated by older Hollywood.

I'm so glad that they snubbed Leonardo DeCaprio for "J. Edgar". While he is a good actor, I think they really blew playing older people. It reminded me of a high school play where teenagers try to mimic how older people walk and talk. It was really embarrassing I thought. So I'm glad the Academy ignored them.

I also feel bad for Glenn Close. She has yet to win an Oscar and she is always up against Meryl Streep. And one year when they were both in the category they both lost to Cher. So while I hope Meryl wins because her performance was unbelievable, I would be equally thrilled if Glenn Close won simply because she hasn't yet walked away with a trophy.

• Members

I really wanted "The Adventures of Tin Tin" to be nominated and win. I know that this story is much more popular in Europe than here. But it did win the Golden Globe after all. So I'm disappointed that it didn't get nominated. I frankly didn't see any of the other animations.

And Oz I agree about "Tree of Life". It was so bizarre. I rented it and regretted it immediately. I think the Academy is having a love affair with Brad Pitt right now not only because he is gorgeous but he is doing so much philanthropy and I know that is appreciated by older Hollywood.

I'm so glad that they snubbed Leonardo DeCaprio for "J. Edgar". While he is a good actor, I think they really blew playing older people. It reminded me of a high school play where teenagers try to mimic how older people walk and talk. It was really embarrassing I thought. So I'm glad the Academy ignored them.

I also feel bad for Glenn Close. She has yet to win an Oscar and she is always up against Meryl Streep. And one year when they were both in the category they both lost to Cher. So while I hope Meryl wins because her performance was unbelievable, I would be equally thrilled if Glenn Close won simply because she hasn't yet walked away with a trophy.

Now I'm worried about Tree of Life which I've added to and moved to the top of my Netflix Queue.

Just finished watching Tetro written, produced and directed by Francis Ford Cappola in 2009. It's a "captivating drama that centers on the relationship between Bennie (Alden Ehrenreich) and Tetro (Vincent Gallo), two brothers who reunite in Buenos Aires after a 10-year estrangement. Maribel Verdu, Klaus Maria Brandauer, Carmen Maura and Rodrigo de la Serna also star in this moving tale loosely inspired by Coppola's own experiences growing up in a creative Argentine-Italian family."

I find it a little bit odd that Max Von Sydow gets an oscar nod for a non-verbal performance in "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" and yet his co-star Thomas Horn who was in almost every scene delivered a really good performance was unfortunately overlooked.

• Members

I find it a little bit odd that Max Von Sydow gets an oscar nod for a non-verbal performance in "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" and yet his co-star Thomas Horn who was in almost every scene delivered a really good performance was unfortunately overlooked.

The Academy is usually that way with child actors, only the rare exception gets the nod, even rarer wins. Children and minorities... :whistle:

And Max is also being honored for his career body of work. Older Hollywood does that a lot too.

The lead in The Artist also received a Best Actor nod for a silent role too. I doubt either will win but it's a recognition of their work.