Guest EXPAT

Downton Abbey

I don't know If you caught season 1 of "Downton Abbey" on PBS? But season 2 started here in the US on Sunday. I think it is absolutely brilliant.

The writing is amazing as is the direction and the acting. Maggie Smith is a hoot.

This is what good TV used to be and should be. Brilliant.

• Members

I don't know If you caught season 1 of "Downton Abbey" on PBS? But season 2 started here in the US on Sunday. I think it is absolutely brilliant.

The writing is amazing as is the direction and the acting. Maggie Smith is a hoot.

This is what good TV used to be and should be. Brilliant.

The story lines are great too. No male heir to the title and estate so they have to go to a remote cousin. Turkish diplomat dies in the bed of the eldest daughter and the women of the house have to drag him back to his room in the bachelor wing.

Now the graying of the lines between the upper and lower classes during World War.

Season 1 doesn't take long to watch. Watch it now and pick up the new season.

• Members

Everything Expat ^ BigK said plus there's a sub-plot involving a young gay footman ambitious to rise above his station. Cute too. :thumbsup:

I confess to a real weakness for these BBC period dramas.

I really could not get enough of the first episode Sunday night. I was glued to my set. There are so many interesting characters and so many interesting story lines. They really did a good job with writing, direction and casting for this. It's definitely a MUST SEE.

• Members

We enjoyed the heck out of this on netflix. Am now mildly disappointed I no longer have cable to pick up season 2.

If you like period dramas at all, this one is excellent.

It's on PBS. You should be able to get your local PBS channel without cable. Good viewing.

Rewinding back to Sunday, here are the Downton Abbey Season 2 premiere rating numbers: The acclaimed PBS series drew 4.2 million viewers. Abbey‘s return doubled the average PBS primetime rating and exceeded the show’s Season 1 average by 18 percent.

• Members

I can't get enough of this amazing series. I just finished episode 2 of season 2. The writers are brilliant. And they give Maggie Smith the best lines. See her top 10 best moments below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVMtffzbAwk

That's a fun compilation of Maggie Smith lines. Even people not interested in the series will enjoy this clip.

Everything Expat ^ BigK said plus there's a sub-plot involving a young gay footman ambitious to rise above his station. Cute too. :thumbsup:

I confess to a real weakness for these BBC period dramas.

A slight little correction, Downton Abbey is not really a BBC show, but rather a show being produced by Carnival Films for the ITV network.

Downton Abbey which already has won countless awards including Golden Globes and Emmys. Just a few nights ago they did again by being honoured on the home turf at the National Television Awards in London at the prestigious O2 arena. The show walked away with top honours for Best Drama as chosen by the people. The show won the coveted spot over such shows as Doctor Who, Merlin, last years winner, Waterloo Road. Accolades aside, bear in mind that as long as the show continues to enjoy strong ratings for ITV, the home front audience, the show will continue to be produced and exported for international audiences. I'm hoping Downton Abbey will continue to enjoy the type of success that Upstairs, Downstairs enjoyed from all those years ago.

Wow, haven't noticed ITV's name on anything since I think Skins (or was that Ch.4?). British and on PBS people think BBC, but not even all the stuff on BBC America is BBC.

Skins technically a Channel 4 show. It's fair to say that out of all the British networks, nobody does period pieices better than the BBC. Ironically ITV over the years have produced better contemporary drama shows than the BBC. I would like to see ITV set up their own network in America to essentially compete with BBC America and then the realisation will sink in that not every tv show that comes from Britian is BBC related. For the time being, I dont think ITV sees America as a lucrative market just yet, let alone financially feasible to create a cable network. Maybe in a few years they'll change their minds. As long as ITV sit on their hands, it's BBC America that will grow and benifit for years to come.

• Members

...For the time being, I dont think ITV sees America as a lucrative market just yet, let alone financially feasible to create a cable network. Maybe in a few years they'll change their minds. As long as ITV sit on their hands, it's BBC America that will grow and benifit for years to come.

I wouldn't be surprised if BBCA already buys ITV shows, I've seen a fair number of non-BBC shows, plus a couple that are WTF, why is that here (Star Trek Next Gen!). So even with a bunch of channels and back library (and a LOT of repeats) BBCA doesn't think think it can fill a channel with just BBC--so it's easy to see why ITV would hesitate.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/02/downton-abbey-maggie-smith-gets-remixed.html

I just finished watching the season finale of "Downton Abbey" season 2. This is such a brilliant show. It is absolutely worth watching every episode. And Maggie Smith absolutely cracks me up. She was in rare form in the finale. When Sir Richard said that he would never see her again, Maggie responded, "Do you promise?". I nearly died laughing.

The above link has the best Maggie moments remixed in a cute PBS video. So funny.

I can't wait for next season when Maggie spars with Shirley Maclain.

• Members

And Maggie Smith absolutely cracks me up. She was in rare form in the finale. When Sir Richard said that he would never see her again, Maggie responded, "Do you promise?". I nearly died laughing.

I can't wait for next season when Maggie spars with Shirly McClain.

I think the writers make a point of writing one-liner for Maggie. I agree that the Maggie Smith Shirley McClain match up will be fun. It looks like Mary won't have to go to NY now to let the dust settle regarding the scandal. So her Grandmother (Shirley) will likely have to pay a visit to England. I was looking forward to Mary's visit to the States to stay with her Grandmother at her home in NY and her "cottage" in Rhode Island.

• Members

LOL, am I the only one here happy that Thomas, gay loser & conniving former footman, finally weaseled his way back into Lord Grantham's good graces and achieved his life long dream of promotion to valet? :thumbsup:

LOL, am I the only one here happy that Thomas, gay loser & conniving former footman, finally weaseled his way back into Lord Grantham's good graces and achieved his life long dream of promotion to valet? :thumbsup:

He is slime and scum and a camp and a bit of a tramp. . . he's a V A M P, vamp.

He is the type of character that you love to hate but you want to see what awful thing he will do next.

• Members

He is slime and scum and a camp and a bit of a tramp. . . he's a V A M P, vamp.

He is the type of character that you love to hate but you want to see what awful thing he will do next.

He's welcome in my bed any day. Come to think of it...I think I need a Valet.

Except Lord Grantham. he gets on my last nerve. He doesn't seem to have any backbone about anything. He's just a nice guy that doesn't really get many good story lines yet at least. Even his objection to his youngest daughter's marriage to the chauffeur seemed a bit out of character for his "up-until-then" personality.

Guest hitoallusa

Lol ... I liked her in "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"... It was a great movie and I think it will get nominated for the Oscar...

I love Maggie Smith and she doesn't disappoint in this new season teaser. . .