Guest FourAces

Its Getting Silly Around Here

Guest FourAces

No disrespect meant to anyone, seriously.

But the number of posting we are currently seeing are getting silly. There are so many new threads being created each day that get one or two replies, if any, and are just clutter. And in many cases the original poster breaks down his post in two instead of just one complete post.

Many posts have little substance and carry little interest. For me its a bit of a turn off as I do not have the time or the patience to go through so many generic headline posts per day to participate.

Maybe its just me who feels this way and if so I can deal with that. I mean not all my posts will receive an aware for content or grammar. But I have always tried to create threads of general interests ... that effort simply is not happening from other guys ... several who I used to look forward to their posts each day.

Guest CharliePS

The number of posts is starting to fall off, as Oz predicted. Even Ex-pat is getting depleted. But I agree with you about the silliness quotient. I think simon had a point about the questionable relationship between quantity and quality.

• Members

;o)

But I kinda like it. I'll be lucky to post enough for one entry in the time allotted; but it encourages me to post stuff I find interesting and comment on others.

Yes, it's gimmicky but it's only for a couple months and will probably die down. And if it gets others to post stuff of interest in some volume instead of just the 'old hands' that's a good thing!

Guest FourAces

Its nice that a few of you agree. I appreciate the remarks.

One thing I left out of my original post (old age is making me forgetful) is there really are no new posters that are contributing to the onslaught of posts. Its the same half dozen that have been part of the community for a long time here.

• Members

Yes...

...it...
...is!

Note that OZ has specified that one and two word posts will be disallowed. :console:

However, I doubt that he is sufficiently OCD to actually back check all the winning entries to verify all the posts, so good luck to you. (Possibly he plans to outsource entry verification to Thailand. Might need to keep those boys busy in his absence; idle hands are the Devil's workshop.)

Guest lurkerspeaks

I too agree with the principles behind what is being said. I much prefer substance over quantity. But, in the outside chance that the contest gets a few people to post more frequently than they are used to, then I am all for it. At times I feel like I am sitting in the MER room all alone, talking to myself.

• Members

I too agree with the principles behind what is being said. I much prefer substance over quantity. But, in the outside chance that the contest gets a few people to post more frequently than they are used to, then I am all for it. At times I feel like I am sitting in the MER room all alone, talking to myself.

Exactly! Or sometimes it feels like my reply to a thread pretty much closes it.

• Members

There are definitely a lot more posts than I can read these days, but I'm sure that's always been the case for some folks, and hopefully it won't be the end of the world for me either.

smiley_bomb.gif

What's important, in my opinion, is that quite a few folks are having a good time with it, and it should shake up the site dynamics a bit. A few hardy posters will end up with some cash in their pockets, and the Awards Banquet should be a fun time with a good opportunity for members to mingle. rolleyes.gif

6b9085e_PeterEdmunds_Andrew460.jpg

I also think it's pretty nice of OZ to put some thought and some cash into the community. There aren't a lot of site owners who would do that, and I think it's worth acknowledging. thumbsup.png

PS: Not proud to admit that only today, this old dog finally discovered the View New Content tab, so that should make things go a bit quicker. b4f16d664e88cd7ac482ba4996af40c31a00f852_r.gif

• Members

Omg! Omg! OMG! :frantics: BANGKOK!!!

-----

Wait! Last we heard about this, you were dithering between Brazil and Colombia. When did it become Bangkok? Weren't you just there last year?

----

And what's this about holding back the juicy details? If you do I will dog your posts like Glutes on KMEM. (Sorry but I needed an extreme exemplar of the lengths I would go to express my disappointnment.)

• Members

I plan to disclose a great deal of information on my cultural visit to Thailand, where I will be seeing the sites the temples, the Grand Palace, the rivers and klongs, the food, the smiles,and even meetups with other MER posters. That should be quite a lot, your own vicarious trip to Bangkok and Pattaya, right?