Guest CharliePS

Politics forum, part 2

Guest CharliePS

Can anyone explain to me the difference between threads in the Pub and those in Politics? It seems to me that almost half the recent posts in the Pub are on the same or similar topics to the ones in Politics, with pretty much the same posters participating in both.

Guest FourAces

I tend to agree with you. Ever since I can recall there hasn't really been a clear separation of political based threads. It takes away the main reason to add the politics forum by not making that distinction.

• Members

I tend to agree with you. Ever since I can recall there hasn't really been a clear separation of political based threads. It takes away the main reason to add the politics forum by not making that distinction.

There has been and remains an attempt to make a distinction. The criteria is current events in the The Pub and Politics in the Forum. Sometimes they overlap such as a Supreme Court decision etc. I will try to do a better job keepng up with all this newfound posting ferver. :sweat:

• Members

I, for one, have never understood the need to separate out political topics from others, such as Mario's underwear. One forum would do for both. Why relegate important political topics to a forum that is not widely read?

Very simple reason. Many of us don't want to read politics most of the time. when it's separated then you can focus on what you want to focus on. The reason it is not read often is because most don't come to this forum to talk politics.

I'm only posting there because of the contest. But if I had to read some of the posts there or even try to skip them I doubt I would stick around here for very long. Even today I was appalled by some of the posts. I'm not interested in getting in a political debate with absurdity on this forum. That's not what I come here for. So for me I appreciate that TY leaves them separate.

Like Lucky, I love politics and I don't often get involved in the debates. But, I have never seen the issue with having the discussions in this forum. From the onset of this site, Political discussions were not allowed. Then, we allowed them into a separate forum and that seem to be a good compromise.

I'll try to post more in that forum as well.

• Members

OUt of respect for those who do not wish to wade through politics we have a separate forum. I do not see why we cannot respect that and keep everyone happy.

It's like being in a cafeteria and getting served broccoli when you do not want it and being told: everybody gets it, don't eat if you don't want it. There is just no rational reason for putting it on their plate. The same with politics in the Pub. I know some hope that people will be dragged into participating, even when they say they are more likely not to bother to come back. I do not believe in force feeding people what they do not want, even if I like broccoli.

The most problematic post I saw as of last night started as a current events post and was subsequently dragged across the line into politics. I have been guilty of that myself so how I understand how that happens. Just when to make a call on when to move depends on how many follow-ups of which nature occur.

• Members

As the old saying goes, politics and religion should never be discussed among friends. However, once one decides to just let "others" have their opinions and read them with regard for their feelings, then one can "tolerate" whatever is posted or so I think.

I have been "offended" by posts when not only does the poster have a different political persuasion but seems intent upon stating it in the most "difficult" terms. When one views these posts diluting them with their "other" posts then one can simply let various opinions BE, as it were.

We CAN all get along; we only have to try to do so.

Best regards,

RA1