Guest lurkerspeaks

Anyone try acupuncture?

Guest lurkerspeaks

I am a sufferer of chronic insomnia. I have had it for many years..I can go months with only getting a couple of hours of sleep per night if I don't seek help.. I have gone to numerous doctors who prescribe the "usual" sleeping pills like ambien, lunesta, etc, but they do nothing for me. I will be dead tired, but I can not relax enough to fall asleep and stay asleep. I cut back on caffeine, I play relaxing music, I tried the sounds of rain, etc, etc, but nothing has had a lasting effect.

So I have decided to try acupuncture. I have an appointment this afternoon. At this point, I figure what have I got to lose? The acupuncturist says it usually takes anywhere from 3-15 treatments to get full results.. so, I guess time with tell with me. But I was wondering if anyone else has tried acupuncture and if it worked for them.

Guest CharliePS

I have never tried acupuncture. However, my regular doctor for many years was also a personal friend, and he was wonderful. He eventually retired, and I moved across country. I was amazed a couple of years ago to hear from him that he had opened a new practice, as an acupuncturist! He has a traditional medical degree from a major medical school, yet he seems convinced that acupuncture is a very legitimate treatment option.

Guest lurkerspeaks

back from acupuncture.. it was "different". Got needles in my forehead and both wrists, then had electric pulses through them. It actually became uncomfortable after awhile.

I also got some tryptophan (by a doctor's recommendation) at the Hi Health store. This doctor told me that some of her patients swore by it as a remedy to insomnia. Melatonin has never worked for me, but this is supposed to be much better.....

• Members

According to this article, acupuncture can result in increased levels of melatonin in the blood. If this is, in fact, the mechanism by which acupuncture works and, if you have concluded that melatonin doesn't help you, then acupuncture may not help. Of course, I doubt it would hurt either, and there may be some other mechanism(s) at work.

If I had debilitating insomnia, I'm pretty sure I would head to the Stanford sleep clinic. These folks have been around for a while. I would expect, at the very least, if they couldn't help you, they would tell you why they couldn't help you. Personally, I'd be optimistic that they might uncover the underlying reason for your insomnia, and be able to provide at least some relief. I don't know how insurance companies look at this field of medicine, but a phone call to the clinic should get you some answers.

Very best of luck!

Guest lurkerspeaks

No results from acupuncture... tried tryptophan.... no changes...

I bought a new bed today...it will be delivered on Friday.. got a memory foam mattress... Maybe the bed is the source of my lack of sleep...Keep your fingers crossed for me.

• Members

No results from acupuncture... tried tryptophan.... no changes...

I bought a new bed today...it will be delivered on Friday.. got a memory foam mattress... Maybe the bed is the source of my lack of sleep...Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Your sleeping problem seems really debilitating. Have you had a sleep study? I think that's an important next step if you haven't.

Guest lurkerspeaks

Your sleeping problem seems really debilitating. Have you had a sleep study? I think that's an important next step if you haven't.

That is on my list of "want to do's".. Unfortunately, recent job changes have interrupted my insurance. It has just started back up and I am awaiting my new insurance card/info etc so I can make an appointment to pursue the sleep study possibility. Hopefully Cigna (new insurance company) believes in sleep studies..

• Members

One other possibility are your computing habits, you probably derp around on the internet 'till late at night and when you can't sleep you get back on, I'm guessing?

The light from the monitor and the color temperature of the light can supposedly throw off your cycles. This free software is supposed to help with that (and the eyestrain), I've tried it even though I don't have much of a problem. So maybe try that and dim your monitor. Also try exposing yourself to lots of bright light in the mornings.

Guest CharliePS

That is on my list of "want to do's".. Unfortunately, recent job changes have interrupted my insurance. It has just started back up and I am awaiting my new insurance card/info etc so I can make an appointment to pursue the sleep study possibility. Hopefully Cigna (new insurance company) believes in sleep studies..

Have you thought of hiring a big, butch daddy to take you in his arms and rock you to sleep while he sings a lullaby? (Unfortunately, I don't think that's one that Cigna will cover.)

Guest lurkerspeaks

Sleep update......After the first night with new memory foam mattress, I can report that I did fall asleep much quicker and got more restful sleep. I did not sleep the entire night through, but was able to get a couple of 3-4 hour blocks of sleep, so that, to me is an improvement. I woke up (the final time) feeling more rested and less "achey", so I have high hopes...

Sleep update......After the first night with new memory foam mattress, I can report that I did fall asleep much quicker and got more restful sleep. I did not sleep the entire night through, but was able to get a couple of 3-4 hour blocks of sleep, so that, to me is an improvement. I woke up (the final time) feeling more rested and less "achey", so I have high hopes...

I found memory foam did wonders for me.

I am prone to bouts of insomnia as well, and found memory foam and mild sedatives do the trick.

I tried acupuncture for back pain and it did nothing for me...