TotallyOz

San Francisco to Los Angeles AIDS Lifecycle

I have ridden the San Francisco to Los Angeles bike ride several times over the last 5 years and it really does take a toll on my body. But, I get in shape for it and I have always finished it. I think it is a great cause and I want to support the LA Gay and Lesbian Community Center. I think I raised over 6k last time.

I am torn as to whether or not to ride this year as I have put on so much weight and I'd have to go through hell in the next 5 months to prepare for it. But, I am considering doing it again.

I always had a good time when I rode it in the past but I left with the feeling, "hell, Oz, you are not young anymore and this is killing your body."

So, I am torn. Advice? Suggestions?

These events are always fun to do and generate a lot of interest in the charity, but I'm getting more and more concerned about the % of the actual dollars earned actually go to the charity. There seems to be an increasing overhead to these events that limits that actual real dollars going to the charity. I'd rather give unrestricted dollars directly to the charity instead of helping pay for all of the stuff surrounding the costs of these events.

Take a year off and find some other way to support it this year. You don't want to put too much stress on your body. Beyond the weight issues as you get older you get much more prone to torn ligaments and such. You should only do something like this when your body and mind are telling you you are ready for it.

Guys, don't forget I have done this ride several times and completed it each time. I also biked across Thailand for over 3500 k and the next year biked across the Mekong River. I am not a weakling. I am just fat. But, I biked 35 miles today to see if I had it in me. ^_^ This weekend, I'll try a 50 mile ride. I'll make a decision after that.