TampaYankee

I knew I missed chrome but had no idea...

• Members

how much. I loved the chrome trim and and bumpers on cars back in the old days before mileage standards came into play. It made cars sexy and hood ornaments were works of art. Sadly it was replaced with plastics and vinyl. :(

Today, I tried the Chrome Browser for the first time. I'm not one to rush in to be a beta tester... lol. Let someone else find all the bugs and other issues. :P My IE 8 was getting slower and slower and my son (an internet software engineer) convinced me that Chrome was ready for prime time. So I downloaded it today.

WOW is it fast. It's not very sexy looking unlike the chrome of yesteryear but runs like hell, just as those cars of yesteryear did. I'm impressed so far.

• Members

I find Firefox to be just as fast as Chrome and unlike Chrome, Firefox doesn't save and track your every move online.

The main reason I haven't switched to Chrome is because of the privacy issues. I'm not one for a lot of regulations. But, something has to be done about these internet companies that collect way too much information about you.

Guest hitoallusa

Well that's true but it contribute in a positive (?) way too. Yes their data mining can be dangerous but it might lead to a major innovation that benefit us all. As long as they don't do anything harmful with it then there is nothing to worry about.

Google is really seriously guilty about storing data and invading privacy.

• Members

Well that's true but it contribute in a positive (?) way too. Yes their data mining can be dangerous but it might lead to a major innovation that benefit us all. As long as they don't do anything harmful with it then there is nothing to worry about.

I don't trust these companies as far as I can spit!!

Do you really believe they're not doing anything harmful?!?!? Just wait until Home Land Security starts tapping into the data (if they haven't already done it).

Guest hitoallusa

Recently a russian billionaire who owns NBA said that he didn't have a computer. He stated that the internet is over flown with information and there no way to FILTER it. Maybe it's a little bit of exaggeration or it was reported in a wrong way but it's not how much information one has but how one can efficiently use whatever information that is available at a given moment is a game winning strategy. Not only one has to know whether the very information in your hands is valid but also one has to know how to handle the info and process it to make it useful and applicable. Those skills need time and practice to develop and can lead to another innovation in our society.

People at google are also people like us. As much as we want our privacy protected he or she who works there want that too.

Firefox had several major fuck ups last year that caused it to lose market share. They need to make sure that doesn't happen again. Two of their updates were so buggy that people just slipped over to Chrome. Now firefox is working well again, but they need to make damn sure their latest updates don't have bugs in them.

I keep Safari, Firefox and Chrome on my MacBook and iMac. I find I use each of them for different reasons. But I use Safari more often than the others. But I use Chrome for this site almost exclusively. It's a good idea to have at least two browsers on your computer in my opinion. I refuse to let me friends who have PCs to even use IE any longer. They use Firefox since I set up and maintain their PCs for them.