BiBottomBoy

Nixon Gay?

Guest hitoallusa

I think we had a bachelor president and there is a possibility he might have been gay.. My memory fails me... What was his name.... Lucky MsGuy or Lookin any ideas?

• Members

George W. Bush?

No, that's the President whose memory failed him. ^_^

If Nixon was gay he had to be a top. He was too anal retentive to be a bottom. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I think we had a bachelor president and there is a possibility he might have been gay.. My memory fails me... What was his name.... Lucky MsGuy or Lookin any ideas?

JamesBuchanan-small.png

Only one bachelor so far, James Buchanan, who preceded Abraham Lincoln.

Though it was probably little more than political backbiting, his alleged 'special friend' was Senator Rufus King, aka 'Aunt Fancy', who used to post over at Daddy's. rolleyes.gif

While I don't personally see a compelling need for a 'gay President', if we were to have one, I'd prefer to wait a bit longer and see if we can draw a better hand than Nixon has given us.

Though I do appreciate what he did with China. thumbsup.png

Guest CharliePS

I think I have seen claims of homosexuality for every President except Calvin Coolidge, and most of them are shots in the dark. The most probable candidate, as Lookin says, is James Buchanan. There is plausible evidence that Lincoln and Kennedy had sexual relationships with men, but lots of straight men have them.

Guest hitoallusa

Yes I agree Nixon played an important role in US relationship with China. I think he was a very smart guy.

[

Though I do appreciate what he did with China. thumbsup.png

Aunt Fancy! ^_^

... Monica Crowley, now a righty commentator, wrote two books based on her time as a grad student and research assistant to Nixon in his last years: "Nixon Off the Record" and "Nixon in Winter." Both were engrossing. Somewhat adulatory, but nonetheless credible and fairly clear-eyed, I thought.

Anyway, to this thread, she reported Nixon's reaction to Buchanan's gay-bashing (among other things) speech that opened the '88 nominating convention for G.H.W. Bush: "My God, he's way over there with the crazies...it's an embarrassment... I spent all that time dragging the party back to the center after the Goldwater loonies highjacked it, and now we're back to this... What was Pat thinking? So many people are gay, or go both ways. I don't care.

"Anyway, gays vote too!"

(the above recollected from memory of the book, not transcribed verbatim.)

Nobody ever said Nixon was a fool - and he was actually a better president than people give him credit for.

Shitloads better. OK, OK -- abuse of IRS, CIA/FBI, law enforcement to harrass political enemies, plumbers/Watergate... But what's a little fun among friends?

He did create the EPA, propose a more liberal and progressive publicly supported health care plan than even Hillary did (when RN visited Bill Clnton in the White House residence, Hillary commended him for it; btw, it was perennially the UAW lobby that blocked that idea, of a public-option health care floor plan, so they could keep that as an option they themselves could claim having gotten for their members. Possibly the most criminal set of actions of the last century.)

Back to RN... In Star Trek 6, if memory serves, Spock has tricked Kirk into giving a Klingon ambassador safe passage to a galactic peace conference. Kirk: "Spock, how could you?!" Spock: "Captain, there is an old Vulcan saying: 'Only Nixon could go to China.'"