TotallyOz

Brazilian economy overtakes UK's, says CEBR

Brazil has overtaken the UK as the world's sixth largest economy, an economic research group has said.

The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) said its latest World Economic League Table showed Asian countries moving up and European countries falling back.

The CEBR also predicted that the UK economy would overtake France by 2016.

It also said the eurozone economy would shrink 0.6% in 2012 "if the euro problem is solved", or 2% if it is not.

CEBR chief executive Douglas McWilliams told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that Brazil overtaking the UK was part of a growing trend.

"I think it's part of the big economic change, where not only are we seeing a shift from the west to the east, but we're also seeing that countries that produce vital commodities - food and energy and things like that - are doing very well and they're gradually climbing up the economic league table," he said.

For the entire article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16332115

Those sexy Brazilians are moving up! I keep saying to all to watch out for them and India.

• Members

Sorry, but it's hard for me to get too worked up about a country with 190+ million people having an economy that's slightly larger than a country with 62 million people. Now when Brazil's per-capita GDP approaches/exceeds that of the UK, then I'll get excited. On second thought, I probably won't, since I expect to be long dead by the time that happens... ;)

Alan