Guest gcursor

Its all downhill

Guest gcursor

So I have a serious question for people..once you hit a certain age then how do you keep your hopes up in life? I mean do you think that the best of times are yet to come? Do you look at where you are at in your job and say this is what I have attained? Do you look at your intelligence and you're excited by everything you've learned? Because to me, it seems as though many of my best years were long ago...so I just wonder what you guys look forward to?

gcursor

p.s. plus keep in mind that I am recently unemployed as well. it will probably take me a few years to do some training and find another job hopefully again...somewhere. Maybe Santa is hiring.

Guest hitoallusa

I believe we all have purpose for our life and that keeps me going... Life is a hard lonely journey but let's hope that things will get better and we are here to do something good and make our society little better. I invited my unemployeed friend to dinner tonight although I had another engagement. I thought he needed some support since he can't visit his mother this holiday season. It really touched his heart and it warmed my heart too. It doesn't have to be a grand thing in life to find one's purpose in life.

Gcursor, I hope you can find a job soon and wish you a happy new year!!!

• Members

I reached 40 this year which is a time for many people to have a meltdown and reconsider decisions they've made in life. However, I am today the most content I've ever been both professionally and privately. My job is no longer a job but a career and I credit my manager for pushing me out of my comfort level to attain such a goal. Privately I am not looking for anyone nor needing anyone, for the near future at least I'm trying to provide a positive male role model for my sister's children and that has certainly been a very fulfilling thing as well.

What I look forward to in the future is moving along with my career, watching the kids grow up and paying off my house. I also look forward to growing up because despite my age and resposibility I still feel like an awkward little kid at times.

Gcursor, use the time that you have now to examine what you really want in life...if you feel that your best years are in the past maybe look more closely, sometimes we confuse being young with being happy.

Guest CharliePS

In my early 30s, I concluded sadly that many of the high expectations I had in my early 20s were unlikely to be realized. So I accepted what I had, and re-focused on other, more attainable goals. By my early 50s I had reached most of them, or at least had got as far as I was likely to get with them. So I looked for new goals that I felt sure I could meet. By my mid-60s, I realized that I had done almost everything that truly mattered to me. Now I don't worry about the future; I just enjoy the present.

The key is to be realistic about what is possible, and accept whatever insurmountable limitations life erects for you. Then decide what you want that you can actually achieve, and go for it. Don't die wishing you had done things that you didn't do because you were moping about what you couldn't have.

Guest CharliePS

I think about what will happen; I don't really worry about it much, because worrying won't do much good. Gcursor's question was about hopes and achieving goals, and it's the goals that I have stopped worrying about.

• Members

So I have a serious question for people..once you hit a certain age then how do you keep your hopes up in life? I mean do you think that the best of times are yet to come? Do you look at where you are at in your job and say this is what I have attained? Do you look at your intelligence and you're excited by everything you've learned? Because to me, it seems as though many of my best years were long ago...so I just wonder what you guys look forward to?

gcursor

p.s. plus keep in mind that I am recently unemployed as well. it will probably take me a few years to do some training and find another job hopefully again...somewhere. Maybe Santa is hiring.

Don't know what you mean by "...a certain age" but I'm on the dark side of 50 and feel like my best years are yet to come.

I've been very lucky to find a unique "niche" and people with my skills are usually able to find a job. I'll probably never be wealthy in my current occupation but I'll probably always be able to find a job.

Now, on the relationship end, I gave up on that many years ago. After a couple of failed relationships, I realized that I'm probably better off without a lover / partner. And, I've very comfortable with that. It means that I'm able to move / relocate for my job and long work hours are not a problem. I find my work provides greater satisfaction than any of my sexual relationships. I'm now more devoted to my job than my sexual relationships. Believe me, the older you get the less important sex is in your life (at least that's my experience).

What type of training are you considering? Do you mind sharing what type of work you're looking at?

Guest hitoallusa

Every gay guy has that concern but something will work out in the end so don't worry too much Charlie.

"Now I don't worry about the future; I just enjoy the present."

That must be another Charlie posting on the other site about how worried he is that he will have no one to care for him when he gets old and feeble.

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my BBB you will die of cancer if you do that! Instead of drinking what about some hearty soup and salad?

Just smoke and drink a lot. You'll have fun and not have to worry about becoming old and feeble.

When they first tried to bring in warning signs on cigarettes in France they let the cigarette companies design their own warnings.

The people who make Gauloises came up with billboards that featured a picture of the worst nursing home in the world and a warning that read (I'm about to translate from French) "Cigarettes will take years off your life, but consider which years."