Lucky

CAM4 Nazi Raises Hackles

• Members

A "bicurious" member of Cam4 from the Netherlands is raising tempers at this moment as he wears a T-shirt with a large Nazi symbol. He is obviously there for the shirt more than for the sex as he is wearing a pair of well-worn grey briefs.

Given that he is number 4 on the male chart, comments are limited to premium members, but many are letting him know their distaste for his shirt. Other racists then reply with their own hate comments. The N-word is common to some of them, at least when I was reading it. So far, the Nazi has been on for 155 minutes.

I have often wondered what moderation there is on Cam4. Underage boys tend to get the hook pretty quickly, so there is some. I'll let others claim that free speech allows him to wear what he wants. Would we tolerate Nazi rantings here? Clearly not.

• Members

Allow them or appreciate them? I don't think allowing them is up to either Lucky or me but regardless of how little regard I might have for such remarks, my instincts would be to allow if not ignore them. Wasn't Prince Harry chastised for wearing Nazi garb? Both aspects of that situation are silly. One, that he would be so uninformed or disrespectful of England's history with Nazism and two, that he would be so perhaps unfairly criticized for "playing a game" or whatever. But, he is a public figure and most posters herein are not.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

RA1, either you missed my point or I didn't make myself very clear. We, as members of a community forum, can speak in a collective we even though we only intend to express our own opinion. That's because, as a member of the community, we think we know the community temperature. We may not, of course. But in so saying, I am not claiming that I speak for the administration of the site. Just as fans of a sports team often refer to the team as "us" when they have no ownership. "We wiped their butts" is a not uncommon phrase used by sports fans, even though they were never even on the playing field. Did I spell that out clearly enough for you?

So hopefully having made it clear from where I speak, I still say that we would clearly not accept a Nazi as a forum participant, at least if he was going to pursue a Nazi agenda. We might try to engage him first, as we do any troll or whiner. We would try to make some accommodation so everyone can participate.

But, failing that, you would start to see a decline in participation at the site from those who abhor Nazis. Management might then stand up, if they have not already, and attempt to stem the outflow of participants by reigning in the Nazi.

That's my story, RA1, piss on it if you choose. But be careful that it doesn't get moved to the watersports forum. I have no umbrella.

I'm not familiar with the Cam4 site, but Nazi paraphernalia is very, very popular in the European gay male BDSM scene. In particular a lot of BDSM bottoms want guys with semi-germanic accents to role play in nazi type gear. So, a guy from the Netherlands may have no nazi tendencies at all but may have realized that it will get him a lot of attention from bottoms if he's into topping.

• Members

I'm not familiar with the Cam4 site, but Nazi paraphernalia is very, very popular in the European gay male BDSM scene. In particular a lot of BDSM bottoms want guys with semi-germanic accents to role play in nazi type gear. So, a guy from the Netherlands may have no nazi tendencies at all but may have realized that it will get him a lot of attention from bottoms if he's into topping.

Well, that does indicate a certain mentality, one I hate to see gays endorse.