Lucky

FAA Head Randy Babbitt Arrested

• Members

I am no fan of Babbitt but I have had to pay attention to what he says and does because it directly affects my career. He is too old to fly for the airlines and probably retired 10-15 years ago, based on his career only lasting 25 years.

Pilots like to drink but I personally have never seen a professional pilot drink and fly, although I know that has happened but,rarely. Regardless of what I think, the FAA has decided that a pilot's DUI record IS important and will deny a medical certificate if any violations are not reported in a timely fashion or if they are repetitive. It is not like many judges and juries who let drivers drink and drive and get caught many, many times. Once and the FAA requires going through an 18 month abuse program and twice and you are out, basically for good.

The only person I ever knew who drank and flew did not have a pilot's license and thought is was marvelous to have several drinks and then go buzz folks. He lived in rural TX and got away with it during the time I knew him. I am sure his liver gave up the ghost many years ago. He was the most alcoholic person I ever met. When he got up in the morning he would get a large styrofoam cup, put ice in it and start sipping Scotch. He drank a quart every day and then, if he was entertaining, he would "seriously" have a few drinks.

Best regards,

RA1