lookin

Are they nuts?

• Members

Apparently, the top three Republican candidates are all comfortable with the idea of a U. S. war with Iran. Gingrich and Romney said so during the North Carolina debate last week, and Cain said so in an interview with Bill O'Reilly earlier in the month.

It doesn't seem to phase any of them that Iran has close ties with both China and Russia, who may have their own attitudes about such U. S. aggression.

So let's see: at least one new war in the Middle East with Iran, saber-rattling against Egypt's military, no new taxes to pay for it, indifference to those without health care at home, and cuts to Social Security now that there's no longer a surplus to borrow against. Quite an enlightened bunch, these three.

CainRomneyGingrichPoll.jpg

• Members

"no new taxes to pay for it,"

Staying on topic as far as the no new taxes thing, I got a flyer in the mail from some dipshit state representative. Oh, he's my state rep!

He's complaining that the courts have ordered the state prisons to release prisoners due to overcrowding. He wants that stopped. But these same people don't want to pay for more prisons, or for better care, better training for better corrections officers and better parole officers, why even more of them too.

Judges salaries are smaller than most experienced lawyers make. There is a whole campaign to reduce pension and health benefits for government employees.

Yet when the consequence of that hits home, they just yell and scream. No practical ideas for how to solve the problem of prison overcrowding. No asking themselves why they were so gung ho to put more people in prisons. So,okay then, keep those prisons stuffed to the gills, with bad food, bad conditions, bad healthcare, lazy and corrupt guards (no, not all of them), and gangs that unite in the prison yard and carry out their membership on the streets when they get out. There are no free lunches.

• Members

In response to the thread title: yes, they are nuts. And not just those three, include all the other candidates except Huntsman and include most of the GOP base. I predict one of two things: either the GOP will crash and burn after getting in bed with the extreme right wing... or the country will crash and burn if the crazies take over. Well maybe we will just return to the 1880s age of robber barrons, no labor laws, no middle class, no social safety net. The one difference will be more wars to protect robber barron interests over seas.

I believe it will be an easy win for Obama. Can the US afford another war? I don't think so.

I totally disagree! I don't think this will be an easy win for Obama and it shouldn't. Yes, they are all nuts. But, he is not an effective President. He has been tying to get reelected as opposed to governing.

I'd like to see 6 year terms for President, Senate, and House with a one term restrictions.

• Members

I totally disagree! I don't think this will be an easy win for Obama and it shouldn't. Yes, they are all nuts. But, he is not an effective President. He has been tying to get reelected as opposed to governing.

I'd like to see 6 year terms for President, Senate, and House with a one term restrictions.

I think you might find the result of that set up to lead to shocking results in the governing of our country. One need only look to Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan to see the drawback of true one party rule. Similarly egregious actions could be taken by the left in the future.

The voters are somewhat better at repairing fiscos than they are at avoiding them. But that is after the damage has been done. If there is a consensus for changing direction of the country it is better to have it done over two or three election cycles to make sure their is a true consensus and that any change in direction actually results in what was sought and anticipated. Again, reference Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan.

This is going to be a very easy election for Obama.

The GOP establishment is throwing this election because they know the economy is going to still be shit for the next four years and they don't want to be blamed for it.

So they are putting up unelectable candidates in the primaries to weed the crazies out of their organization.

This is all a warm up for Jeb Bush or Huntsman to mount a real campaign in four years.

Guest hitoallusa

So who do you think should be president? Sarah Palin? ^_^ As I have repeatedly said these politicians need to go to foreign countries and live as non-americans to understand and see how the world operates. There are many special make-up tools one can employ and a Rosetta Stone kit to pick up a foreign language. That will open their eyes and realize how blind but fortunate they are. I like Jon Huntsman but the lame media (I love Sarah Palin for this) don't like him at all. Interest groups, companies, banks and law firms are too powerful to be controlled and they will find loopholes to every reform. There is not much one president can do against them because he is elected and funded by them.