Guest simon

What's So Great about Being Gay?

• Members

Of course I would choose to be gay. I have had a fascinating life and wouldn't trade it for any straight existence. I've met the most interesting people, and have had the opportunity to go to interesting places, where I met more interesting people. My siblings have the wife and kids, and I am sure they like their lives, but I think they might be secretly jealous of the fun I have when they are at home with the kids.

Not only that, but I like men, and it helps to be gay when that is the case!

• Members

Of course I would choose to be gay. I have had a fascinating life and wouldn't trade it for any straight existence. I've met the most interesting people, and have had the opportunity to go to interesting places, where I met more interesting people. My siblings have the wife and kids, and I am sure they like their lives, but I think they might be secretly jealous of the fun I have when they are at home with the kids.

Not only that, but I like men, and it helps to be gay when that is the case!

I completely agree with Lucky's assessment. It would definitely not be as much fun to fuck twinks if I weren't gay! ^_^

I've met the most interesting people, and have had the opportunity to go to interesting places, where I met more interesting people.

So,that's a great reason to choose to be gay? Don't str8 people do that with the same frequency of success that gays do?

If you choose to be gay over being str8 - then you must view being str8 with some sort of expressive handicap to being happy.

Gay men are stereotyped to be theater lovers, particularly musicals. We are supposed to be fans of Judy Garland, Liza Minelli, and any other diva who sings. Song lyrics tumble in our heads all the time, usually in the shower.

I am a gay man, but I know no song lyrics. I have no time for divas.

Interesting how one can be so happy to be stereotyped, yet so disappointed by it at all at the same time.

• Members

If you really could choose, would you really choose to be gay?

Interesting question but to me to say I would choose not to be Gay is like saying there is something wrong with being Gay.

I will admit when I was younger, growing up in a conservative Baptist family, I may have wished I was not Gay. But it would have been because of what others wanted for me and not really what I myself wanted. Unlike many Gay men I actually have 2 grown children and 3 grandkids that I am very proud of. That as a result of "trying" to be straight at a younger age, because that is what others wanted for me. I do not regret those younger days because of my children but if I was born in a different time, 20 or so years later, I doubt my children would exist.

I can now look back on my life as a "Gay man" and I can happily say I have had a great life and can not imagine how in my wildest dreams it could have been a better life to have been straight. So NO, I would not choose to be straight if I could. Now if I could choose to still have my hair instead of balding or to have a bigger cock I might choose that.

Guest hitoallusa

I believe there are pros and cons for everything. But what's important is that I try to make the best of my situation with positive outlook. I think I can find my happiness in that. It's not about being great to be something for me it is about what I can do by being something(straight, gay, chef, businessman and etc..). So whatever I am born to be I think I will try to achieve the best with my life. ^_^

I will admit when I was younger, growing up in a conservative Baptist family, I may have wished I was not Gay. But it would have been because of what others wanted for me and not really what I myself wanted.

Absent the fact that you were polluted by your own (others) faith during your own youth as you state - Why otherwise than that would you have ever decided you wanted or needed to be gay- because of, or for the lack of it being who you really were or are now?

• Members

Why otherwise than that would you have ever decided you wanted or needed to be gay- because of, or for the lack of it being who you really were or are now?

It is not about wanting or needing it is about being. I AM GAY and have had a great life. What would being straight add to my life or happiness? But one must also realize that first and foremost we are human beings and being Gay is just a part of who we are and that part of my life has been just that.... a "Part" of who I am.

Your responses makes one think you think it is a bad thing to be Gay?

Guest lurkerspeaks

To me it goes back to We were Born this way.. and the old saying "grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"..

I was blessed with having one of the best persons ever as my mother. She had 6 kids, with two of us boys being gay. One time, my sister's lesbian friend was talking with my mother about her own mother. It seemed that her own mother could not accept her daughter's homosexuality. She asked my mom, "why is is that you have two gay sons and accept them completely, and yet my mom can't accept me?" To that, my mom replied "Well, God made them the way the are. Who am I to question God?"

But one must also realize that first and foremost we are human beings and being Gay is just a part of who we are and that part of my life has been just that.... a "Part" of who I am.

I wholeheartedly agree. I like being in the gay community and it was not a path I chose. It chose me. But, it is such a small part of my whole existence that sometimes I forget I am gay. Imagine that: sometimes I just feel like one of the gang I am with and none of them are gay. We are just all friends.

I read this as really two different questions.

1) Do I want to be somebody other than who I am?

2) Do I wish I didn't have to deal with all the shit that gets shoveled at us for being gay?

Of course the answer to the second question is no. Hell no even. But If I weren't gay, I'd be somebody else. Maybe that person would be interesting, but I like who I am, warts and all. I don't want to be somebody else. Being gay made me who I am.

• Members

I assume you actually mean "yes" is the obvious answer to question #2. I think it takes someone really into degradation to want to put up with shit, shoveled or otherwise.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest gcursor

Would I choose to be gay?

No..probably not. In the years that I've come out (and started going to bars, etc) it has proven much more of a hindrance than anything else. I mean you are taking the potential candidates for sex drastically down to begin with (assuming there is such thing as "straight guys"). Then you start cutting down the pack based on "size queens" (which cuts out this quota of people), gym bunnies (which cuts out this quota of people) and then when you're all done, you have this itty-bitty little segment of the gay population left and THOSE are the people that you're compatible with.

Would I choose to be gay?

No..probably not. In the years that I've come out (and started going to bars, etc) it has proven much more of a hindrance than anything else. I mean you are taking the potential candidates for sex drastically down to begin with (assuming there is such thing as "straight guys"). Then you start cutting down the pack based on "size queens" (which cuts out this quota of people), gym bunnies (which cuts out this quota of people) and then when you're all done, you have this itty-bitty little segment of the gay population left and THOSE are the people that you're compatible with.

Gcursor, I do understand. I also wonder how things would be different if we were straight. I don't think it would change that much. Every person has their likes and dislikes and it seems that people only want to hook up those that meet their desires. Luckily for me, some have the desire for cash. ^_^

• Members

British film director Terence Davies has this to say in today's Irish Times:

“Being gay has ruined my life!” he nearly shouts. “I hate it. I’ll go to my grave hating it. Which is why I have been celibate. One-night stands are not for me. I was not good looking. I did not have a good body. Nobody was interested when I was young. Now I am old. I am still not good looking. I know what I am. I will always loathe it. It has killed part of my soul.”

Reading the interview with him, he does seem to be an unpleasant sort, but interesting:

Interview with self-loathing director

• Members

Lucky, you do come across the most interesting people! I'm sure your salon is one of the Desert's hottest destinations. rolleyes.gif

4962534604_d4fac36754.jpg

Davies sounds like a guy I'd enjoy spending time with. I like folks whose experiences have been out-of-the-ordinary and have caused them to become independent thinkers. He doesn't seem to be telling anyone else how to live their lives, but he's clear on how he wants to live his. I expect I could learn a thing or two from him.

While he may loathe his gay preferences, I didn't get the impression that he loathes himself. On the contrary, he seems quite confident in who he is and I find that an attractive quality.

All that said, I'd welcome the opportunity to give him a few kisses and hugs. It would be nice to think he will find some comfort and happiness in his remaining years, perhaps even a little nookie. hug.gif

It turns out my local library has Of Time and the City on the shelf and I'll definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the introduction! thumbsup.png

• Members

Lookin, I had just finished a novel by the Irish writer Ken Bruen called Headstone. (It's acutally funny but very violent and cynical.I In that novel he just happened to mention at times the various economic problems befalling London. I recommend the novel to anyone who likes dry wit and can handle some big-time violence! It also helps to be a cynic. Anyway, the writing is just vicious.

So, after that, I wanted to know more about this Irish Economy, so I went to Google and found this interview. And that's how it happened! Maybe should have saved it for the Lucky Reader.