Lucky

The Theater

• Members

Gay men are stereotyped to be theater lovers, particularly musicals. We are supposed to be fans of Judy Garland, Liza Minelli, and any other diva who sings. Song lyrics tumble in our heads all the time, usually in the shower.

I am a gay man, but I know no song lyrics. I have no time for divas. But I love the theater. In New York recently I saw 8 shows in 6 days, not unusual for my trips.

Last night we saw what was one of the best productions yet at our local amateur playhouse, The Palm Canyon Theater. They did justice to a performance of The Fantasticks. I liked it better than the show I saw in New York several years ago. A strikingly handsome young man played Matt, a devilishly sexy guy played El Gallo. A young woman with a beautiful voice made her debut as Luisa. Everything came together. All the other actors had their roles down pat and performed with distinction.

So, for a theater lover who now lives far from New York, it was a night to remember!

Now, if I could just find some guys here who cared about the theater. I did return to the theater forum at Daddy's just to have some fellow-travelers, but even there, I am the one starting many of the threads. At least others do post there. Here, theater news usually falls right off the stage.

Guest lurkerspeaks

Now, if I could just find some guys here who cared about the theater. I did return to the theater forum at Daddy's just to have some fellow-travelers, but even there, I am the one starting many of the threads. At least others do post there. Here, theater news usually falls right off the stage.

I hear ya, Lucky.. I love the theater, but have never been to Broadway. Best I have seen is touring companies...I agree with your stereotypes, but I think it is more for us "aging homosexuals". The youth of today are more into pop music, and music videos than live theater, at least from my experience. Being single, I hate that I miss out of most if not all of the productions that do make it to Phoenix because I have no one to go with who enjoys it as well.

I think I got my appreciation of live theater from my parents. I remember growing up in Houston, being probably 8 or 10 years old, and my father and step mother taking me to see a touring company of Gypsy with Angela Lansbury. I thank them for the exposure to live theater and live concerts. Another memory, however unappropriate it was, was being probably 12, and being taken to see Redd Fox live.

I have even tried placing ads on Craigslist here in Phoenix to see if any cute boy would want to go to a play, or a dinner theater etc, with little to no interest.

• Members

I have even tried placing ads on Craigslist here in Phoenix to see if any cute boy would want to go to a play, or a dinner theater etc, with little to no interest.

This may be more of a geographic issue than a generational one. Also maybe an advertising venue issue (CL may not be the ideal place to find company for musical theater). I have never had trouble getting young people in NY or LA to attend theater with me. I think those of the young generation who love performing arts tend to gravitate towards these cities so you have a much bigger pool of opportunity to pull from. And usually how I meet them is chat them up at clubs, find out that they love Wicked, and then invite them to a show. I'd say it's close to a 50% success rate, which is pretty damn good. If you prefer to stay online only, Facebook works better because there's some opportunity to establish common ground. Typically friends of friends, a few back and forth messages, and then invitation. Works less often than in person, but definitely not zero.

• Members

But, MA, lurker is not in New York, so he doesn't have the opportunities that you do. Of course, money is not a factor to add. hehe

But Lurker has been to Rio, but not to Broadway. No doubt he would love it, as MA and I do. But I have no problems attending a show alone. The bf only likes musicals, and I love the depth that a play can have. If I took a cute young guy, I might be in a hurry for the show to end!

Perhaps Oz will sponsor a theater tour with the 3 guys who post the most in December! ^_^

• Members

But, MA, lurker is not in New York, so he doesn't have the opportunities that you do. Of course, money is not a factor to add. hehe

But Lurker has been to Rio, but not to Broadway. No doubt he would love it, as MA and I do. But I have no problems attending a show alone. The bf only likes musicals, and I love the depth that a play can have. If I took a cute young guy, I might be in a hurry for the show to end!

Perhaps Oz will sponsor a theater tour with the 3 guys who post the most in December! ^_^

I agree Lurker would love Broadway, and that good shows are perfectly fine to be attending alone. It's actually really nice sometimes to be alone with your deepest emotions the midst of powerful theater.

I understand about Lurker not being in NYC, but I was just commenting how I don't think it's purely a generational thing because in NYC, there are still plenty of youth who love theater. In fact, one of my most memorable nights was when I got stood up at the last minute by my date for a Mamma Mia on Broadway, while walking along 5th Avenue. I walked into Abercrombie, found the cutest salesboy I could find, bought a shirt from him, and asked him if he would be done with work in time to come with me to Mamma Mia! He was ecstatic and in fact came along. Ok he was straight so it ended with the curtain call, but I had a great night with a gorgeous Abercrombie boy, and a memory to keep and a story to tell for the rest of my life. ^_^

• Members

Great story with the Abercrombie boy. I admire your forwardness with him. I did once put an ad on Craigslist for someone to attend a Padres game with me. I got a nice looking straight guy. He knew his baseball and was thrilled to have such a good seat. But once the game was over, he was gone. I had said in the ad that I was gay and looking for a gay guy to go with, but he had the best response and I am glad that I picked him.

And, lurker, is not Lady GaGa a diva for today's youth? Granted, she is not a Broadway star...

Guest CharliePS

I wonder what is going to happen to the audience for any live performance other than rock concerts, as a young generation becomes accustomed to be able to watch anything on their iPad or cellphone. At classical music concerts and operas, I sit near the rear and look out over a sea of grey hair and bald heads, and I suspect the same would be true at many theater performances. In fact, I sit at the back because it is all I can afford, as the cost of tickets has skyrocketed over the years. I tried to book a seat at the LA Opera for "Romeo et Juliette" this weekend, and was told the cheapest seat available was $110, and it wasn't even a very desirable seat. I can remember when I would have debated whether to spend $25 for a performance of a second tier opera like R&J. A seat at Disney Hall for an organ concert (one performer, one instrument) was $72. Most young people can't afford those prices, so it's hard to develop a habit of going to live performances. Even sporting events have trouble filling stadia for anything but top drawer matches, not only because of the ticket prices, but also because fans have grown used to watching everything on TV, in a place where they can be more physically comfortable, and can see everything up close and in slomo and replay. I saw a college football game the other night, that was crucial to the bowl hopes of the home team, and when the camera happened to pan back, the stands were almost empty. Most people who attend live performances are used to doing it regularly, and I fear that audience is dying out.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I do think location has a lot to do with it.. In NYC for example, you are surrounded by theater, so it is more a part of your everyday life. Here in "middle america", we have dinner theater and some local groups mostly, with the occasional touring company...so it is not a common thing.. That being said, there can usually be found some interesting theater event to attend if you really want to..

Attending alone==I am used to being alone.. I am not bothered by going out to eat alone, going to a movie alone, etc etc.. But for me, the theater if more of a "special occasion" which I like to share with someone else. Charlie is partially right because with the high cost of it, it does add to the "specialness" of it... I have been to shows alone in Vegas, so I guess I could do the same here in town..

Maybe just another thing I need to take the plunge and do...But I so like to make it a special evening.. a nice dinner first, then the theater.. and it is so much more satisfying to share the event with someone else..

Guest lurkerspeaks

"Maybe just another thing I need to take the plunge and do..."

I am always up for a trip to New York! ^_^

But then I wouldnt be going to the theater alone.. LOL.. but in all honesty, Lucky, I just might take you up on that soon... Only problem now would be getting time away from the new job....

When I think of MA going into the A & F store, I picture someone like George Clooney or even Lawrence Olivier going in and going up to the salesman..

With me, it would be more like a short John Goodman or an older caucasian Gabriel Iglesias. Somehow, I don't see the same outcome..

• Members

kilroy.jpg

Didn't you used to be on the outskirts around here once upon a time? And now you're one of the in-crowd. cool.png

hafla.gif

Maybe you're just the guy someone is looking to see a play with. Or play with. As I recall, Falstaff managed to have a good time without exactly being anorexic. rolleyes.gif

Eduard_von_Grützner_Falstaff.jpg

• Members

When I think of MA going into the A & F store, I picture someone like George Clooney or even Lawrence Olivier going in and going up to the salesman..

Haha. thanks but only in my dreams! I don't consider myself ugly... but I am also definitely not going to be cast in any visual media anytime soon. What I think I am is confident, real, kind, sincere, and straightforward. That doesn't win all of them over. But you'ld be surprised how many very beautiful young people take that over good looks for someone to hang with, and even shag with. Remember the beautiful ones have been with everyone and anyone that they want, and have seen the best and WORST of humanity. Sometimes they are looking for exactly what a decent hearted, secure, wiser older person has to offer.

I guess I am a stereotypical gay then. I love musicals, Judy Garland, The Wizard of Oz, Liza, Barbara, Madonna, Whitney, and the list goes on.

I love Broadway but I lived in Times Square for many years. I got to know many of the boys who performed in the musicals and got to see many guys become stars from my neighborhood. I went to the Tony Awards a few times. I saw Rent, Les Mis and Miss Saigon over 20 times each (more like 40 up for Rent). When I lived in NYC, I never missed an opening week.

But, I have been away for a while and spending too much time sucking cock as opposed to sucking in the arts. I need a return. Perhaps that will be one of my 2012 resolutions?

In a previous response there was a mention of the young generation. Last year I had the opportunity to attend Doctor Who At The Proms which was essentially a concert that took place at the Royal Albert Hall. It was jam packed and lots of parents with children. Naturually kids have short attention spans, however for a fifty plus minute concert, the kids were for the most part tuned in to what was going on stage especially with appearances by Matt Smith, Karen Gillian and Arthur Darvill. It was nice to moms, dads and kids being on the best behaviour.

Early last year I had attended a Peter Gabriel concert that took place at the Hammersmith Apollo. It was essentially the New Blood orchestra performing a selection of Gabriel songs that were completely rearranged for orchestra only without guitar, bass or even a drumkit. There were people of all ages and I half heartedly expected the audience to be rowdy. To my surpise it didn't happen this way, the audience were very much polite throughout the entire performance and the former Genesis frontman seemed to appreciate the quietness of the audience.