Lucky

Thank You For Your Service

• Members

Occasionally on a Saturday night, the bf and I will go up to Thousand Palms to the local branch of In and Out Burger. It's always crowded, being right off the freeway, and it being a Saturday night. Living in Palm Springs we tend to be surrounded by an older crowd, but the burger joint reminds us that youth surrounds us. And soldiers, specifically Marines from the Twenty Nine Palms base up the road a ways.

This particular Saturday we saw a guy who looked like a male model right from Copenhagen, and he had 3 young sons with him all decked out in designer hoodies.

Even though it was nighttime, daddy had sunglasses tossed back on his head.

Well, daddy was gorgeous enough that he could wear the dictionary and look sexy. Many heads turned when he passed. Soon he and the gang took up a table to eat their meals. Now, us gay guys might like to go up to a hot guy like that and chat him up, even if just to say hi and get a closer look. But I am not one of them. I was perfectly willing to admire from afar, let daddy and the kids eat in peace.

But with the new fad in America of approaching obvious military personnel to "thank them" for their service, daddy did not get to eat in peace. Frankly, I would find it kind of annoying to let my fries get cold while some stranger interrupts to thank me. This particular thanker chatted daddy up for awhile, then shook everyone's hands, chatted some more, and then shook daddy's hand again before leaving.

Sure, I would have liked an encounter with the hot guy. I would have thanked him just for existing. He seemed friendly enough to the stranger, but sure seemed happy to eat when the interlude was over.

I'll never know just how daddy felt about this, nor will I know if the stranger was more taken with the guy's looks than his service. But we see it more and more- this approach to military guys to thank them. It assumes that they have all done something to be thanked for. After all, not every soldier goes to war. And it assumes that the thanks are welcome. For that, take a look at this recent column by a soldier on the subject, printed in the Washington Post:

Thank You For Your Service

• Members

Thank you for your service is not the same as thank you for being a hero. It is much simpler than that and something I think entirely appropriate. However, I agree with you, Lucky, that one should do his best to not interfere with whatever another is doing to include eating a meal.

I think that there should be much more involvement with the general citizenry in the prosecution of war. I also think that "war" should be declared or of VERY short duration. Neither has been true of Iraq or Afghanistan (among others). To me war means putting the nation on a war footing. Rationing, taxation, everyone doing their part, etc. etc. is part and parcel of being on a war footing. We have wrongfully not done that from Viet Nam inclusive and until now.

I also think that every citizen of the USA should serve the country for at least 1 year and preferably 2 in some capacity. Military service is an obvious choice but there are many others and should be even more. At the price and cost of food, shelter and medical treatment how much could be accomplished "fixing" our infrastructure, giving "foreign aid" and many other beneficial projects?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Thank you for your service is not the same as thank you for being a hero. It is much simpler than that and something I think entirely appropriate...

I also think that every citizen of the USA should serve the country for at least 1 year and preferably 2 in some capacity. Military service is an obvious choice but there are many others and should be even more. At the price and cost of food, shelter and medical treatment how much could be accomplished "fixing" our infrastructure, giving "foreign aid" and many other beneficial projects?

Totally agree that "thank you for your service" is very much an appreciated greeting. I was in the military during Viet Nam and would have loved hearing someone say that to me.

I also agree that 1-2 years of service should be mandatory. I don't care if it is Red Cross, military, Peace Corp, or some type of local service. I think it would help both the volunteer and those that they serve.

Guest hitoallusa

I agree that one or two year mandatory service in the military won't be a bad idea but it may have some cost to it: some young people can be more productive with that amount of time compared to others so a mandatory service can kill the innovative and creative activities of some bright young people. That something we should also think about.

Totally agree that "thank you for your service" is very much an appreciated greeting. I was in the military during Viet Nam and would have loved hearing someone say that to me.

I also agree that 1-2 years of service should be mandatory. I don't care if it is Red Cross, military, Peace Corp, or some type of local service. I think it would help both the volunteer and those that they serve.

I have no problem with requiring service for young people, both male and female. But, I would never force military service on some one. However, in your scenario, where they can choose Peace Corp, Red Cross, Military, or other forms of structured volunteer organizations, I'd be OK with that too.

So, would you be OK if they choose to be a missionary for their church? Or, a full=time volunteer for PETA? or the the ACLU? Salvation Army? French Foreign Legion? In other words, would we give them a chance to follow their own path and heart? I'd love to see a way for them to be a volunteer in prison teaching basic high school skills to prisoners if that is their calling. Or, working in an inner city elementary school. It would be hard to structure this but I'd be for it.

• Members

So, would you be OK if they choose to be a missionary for their church? Or, a full=time volunteer for PETA? or the the ACLU? Salvation Army? French Foreign Legion? In other words, would we give them a chance to follow their own path and heart? I'd love to see a way for them to be a volunteer in prison teaching basic high school skills to prisoners if that is their calling. Or, working in an inner city elementary school. It would be hard to structure this but I'd be for it.

I have absolutely no problem with the kind of service you describe. In fact, prior to the military I served a 2 year mission for the Mormon Church. While I no longer agree with their beliefs, there were traits and things I learned as a missionary that still influence me today. I strongly feel everyone benefits from humanitarian / volunteer service.