Lucky

Bangkok Floods, Beijing Smokes

• Members

The mysteries of the Orient have long attracted westerners. Today the Weekend Market in Bangkok, which is the last place where I saw our fellow poster kjun, is partially underwater, resulting in many fewer merchants and customers at what is otherwise a fantastic Bangkok weekend excursion. Flood waters continue to threaten central Bangkok.

In Beijing, smog is overwhelming the city. Masks do little other than cover the faces of the cute guys.

Both cities have long faced these problems, but even with all of the money now flowing to them as the Asian economy rises,the problems are no better, and probably worse than ever.

Flooding leads to mosquitoes and mold. Smog leads to dirty buildings and dirty lungs. What's an intrigued Westerner to do? Probably nothing. The rising Asian economies will have to find ways to clean their own houses, then lend us some more money so we can afford to buy their goods.

In the meantime, plans to visit are on hold. A decline in the tourist industry does not help, but what's a westerner to do?

All "my boys" are safe and OK but their homes flooded. The main squeeze's family had to move out and there is water in pretty much every province in Thailand. The hotel I stayed at on my last trip has shut off its driveway for the past 2 weeks. It is a really nightmare there and might get worst.

My hearts go out to the Thai people as they don't deserve this and I hope that it is a fast recovery.

• Members

The WSJ reports on another threat- uncollected trash. The floods are bringing garbage from the provinces to Bangkok, which is having trouble picking up its own. Disease is becoming a problem:

BANGKOK—Thai authorities are boosting efforts to collect drain-clogging garbage in Bangkok as Thailand's slow-rolling floodwaters send debris from upstream into the capital, threatening two more massive industrial parks Monday after swamping seven others.

Flooded roads are preventing garbage collectors getting to many areas—raising fears over the risk of disease and over the blockage of drains, which is impeding the flow of water into the sea. Bangkok produces about 8,700 tons of rubbish a day—roughly a quarter of Thailand's total. Added to that figure is the additional trash flowing into the city from northern provinces.