Lucky

Happy Birthday Number 7

• Members

Yes, the 7th person ever born was born yesterday. Well, the 7 billionth person. Only 12 years ago number 6 was born, so at this rate we should be getting more posters in about 18 years.

What would you advise number 7? The Guardian of London delves into that:

Hey, Number 7...

Here's what Salmon Rushdie had to say to number 6:

The ancient wisdoms are modern nonsenses. Live in your own time, use what we know, and as you grow up, perhaps the human race will finally grow up with you, and put aside childish things.

Sheer nonsense, right?

• Members

Considering that yesterday's choice as the 'birthday' of the seven billionth was an entirely arbitrary choice made by a UN agency (the seven billionth person may have actually been born months ago - or may not be born for another year), perhaps my ironic message to that person would be that I cannot possibly overstate my dislike and distrust of most UN agencies...

Alan

• Members

Well, I can't argue with that. The UN seems to be a bureaucrats dream. Yet the concept of 7 billion people is a hard one to get around, so forming it as one person actually born today makes it a little easier to grasp. I think all 7 billion were in New York last week.