TotallyOz

Word of the Week: titubant

titubant \TICH-oo-buhnt\, noun:

A disturbance of body equilibrium in standing or walking, resulting in an uncertain gait and trembling.

Byron did something of the kind in Don Juan; and the world at large is still quivering and titubant under the shock of his appeal.

-- W. E. Henley, "The Secret of Wordsworth," The Pall Mall Magazine, Volume 30, 1903

Sir Oran's mode of progression being very vacillating, indirect, and titubant; enough so, at least, to show that he had not completely danced off the effects of the Madeira.

-- Thomas Love Peacock, Melincourt, Volume 1

Titubant derives from the Latin titubātiōn- meaning a staggering, equivalent to titubāt, past participle of titubāre to stagger + -iōn-.

Not to hijack your thread with triviality, but I also learned a new word today from one of my 20 something friends:

SLORE

(slut and a whore)

hmmm, I can see where I might use that occasionally. . .

SLORE

(slut and a whore)

hmmm, I can see where I might use that occasionally. . .

First time I heard that term. Thanks. I think there are many of us here who resemble that remark. ^_^

Hello. My Name is Oz. I am a Slore! (first night of 12 steps)

Guest CharliePS

titubant \TICH-oo-buhnt\, noun:

A disturbance of body equilibrium in standing or walking, resulting in an uncertain gait and trembling.

Byron did something of the kind in Don Juan; and the world at large is still quivering and titubant under the shock of his appeal.

-- W. E. Henley, "The Secret of Wordsworth," The Pall Mall Magazine, Volume 30, 1903

Sir Oran's mode of progression being very vacillating, indirect, and titubant; enough so, at least, to show that he had not completely danced off the effects of the Madeira.

-- Thomas Love Peacock, Melincourt, Volume 1

Titubant derives from the Latin titubātiōn- meaning a staggering, equivalent to titubāt, past participle of titubāre to stagger + -iōn-.

Note that the quotes are both more than a century old. I doubt that anyone has had occasion to use the term recently. However, it is going to enter my vocabulary for use the next time I visit my doctor.

Note that the quotes are both more than a century old. I doubt that anyone has had occasion to use the term recently. However, it is going to enter my vocabulary for use the next time I visit my doctor.

It was in crossword puzzle last week and I have never heard the word so I missed it. I looked it up.