Guest hitoallusa

Dinner Party Receipe

Guest hitoallusa

Trying to cook for a birthday party this weekend and need a good recipe. One for an appetizer and one for a main dish. Someone else is baking cake so I'm so glad. I'm not sure how our mothers did everything! Seriously, am I just lazy or too slow? Anyways, what could I make for a cozy dinner in mid-October? Any suggestions. No food restrictions or allergies so anything will work. Thanks.

Guest hitoallusa

I saw that and it was too late for me. I type on a tiny phone key pad and sometimes I can't see well. I'm a legally blind without my glasses. Anyways, Lucky do you have a recipe you want to share? I hear that you are a good cook.

Guest JamesIvory

To start the meal off I would serve a mixed green salad with blue cheese and a balsamic vinegar dressing. For the main course braised short ribs, in rich red wine sauce, with steamed baby carrots and garlic mashed potato would be my suggestion. Its a slow dish to cook but well worth it if done correctly.

• Members

Meat Loaf, Au Gratin Potatoes and Creamed Spinach with Mushrooms

4 1/2 pounds ground round

8 cloves garlic(or more)

1 1/2 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup chopped sweet onion

1 tbsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 egg beaten

1/2 cup barbecue sauce

2/3 cup ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tbsp brown mustard

Mix all ingredients, except barbecue sauce, in osterizer. Then mix with meat. Place meatloaf in loaf pan,

Bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Add barbecue sauce to meatloaf during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

2 big boxes au gratin potato mix

slices of cheddar cheese

extra butter

dried romano cheese from the can

Follow the instructions, 20 minutes before serving, add extra cheddar cheese slices and sprinkle with Kraft romano and a bit more butter if it looks too dry.

4 boxes of frozen spinach

2 cans lower-far cream of celery soup

2 packages sliced fresh mushrooms = washed and drained

2 tsp nutmeg

Follow instructions on the box, 10 minutes before serving, throw in the mushrooms and sprinkle with nutmeg.

• Members

Meat Loaf, Au Gratin Potatoes and Creamed Spinach with Mushrooms

3 pounds ground round

8 cloves garlic(or more)

1 1/2 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup chopped sweet onion

1 tbsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 egg beaten

1/2 cup barbecue sauce

2/3 cup ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tbsp brown mustard

Mix all ingredients, except barbecue sauce, in osterizer. Then mix with meat. Place meatloaf in loaf pan,

Bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Add barbecue sauce to meatloaf during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

2 big boxes au gratin potato mix

slices of cheddar cheese

extra butter

dried romano cheese from the can

Follow the instructions, 20 minutes before serving, add extra cheddar cheese slices and sprinkle with Kraft romano and a bit more butter if it looks too dry.

4 boxes of frozen spinach

2 cans lower-far cream of celery soup

2 packages sliced fresh mushrooms = washed and drained

2 tsp nutmeg

Follow instructions on the box, 10 minutes before serving, throw in the mushrooms and sprinkle with nutmeg.

Meat loaf is a double-batch. Refrigerate, then slice and freeze for later.

• Members

Very timely post since I'm having my first dinner party on Sunday in my "new" second home.

I echo James' suggestion of mixed green salad with blue cheese and a balsamic vinegar dressing. I also like his suggestion of steamed baby carrots.

I'm planning to do a grilled salmon (from Trader Joe's) and a steamed white rice (cooked with some cracked wheat for additional flavor).

But, on the meatloaf suggestion, I've always done my meatloaf in a microwave bundt pan. Always comes out tender and moist with much more flavor than oven-baked.

Guest hitoallusa

I love salmon. I can eat salmon almost everyday. They are so good and good for you too. I hope you have a wonderful party OneFinger~~

Very timely post since I'm having my first dinner party on Sunday in my "new" second home.

I echo James' suggestion of mixed green salad with blue cheese and a balsamic vinegar dressing. I also like his suggestion of steamed baby carrots.

I'm planning to do a grilled salmon (from Trader Joe's) and a steamed white rice (cooked with some cracked wheat for additional flavor).

But, on the meatloaf suggestion, I've always done my meatloaf in a microwave bundt pan. Always comes out tender and moist with much more flavor than oven-baked.

• Members

I love salmon. I can eat salmon almost everyday. They are so good and good for you too. I hope you have a wonderful party OneFinger~~

Thanks for the well wishes. Really looking forward to having friends over. Now, if I just don't muck up on the cooking...

• Members

Just finished my dinner party. It was a blast. Thank you all for suggestions and recipes. You guys rock!

Glad your dinner party was a success and you had fun.

Just finished my first dinner party in my "new" home. It was a total success and we had a great time. The salad and carrots were a big hit. I thought the salmon was slightly overcooked but there wasn't any left over so it wasn't that bad. ^_^

FYI, this was the first dinner party I've hosted since losing 130 lbs. It was a little intimidating for me since I was cooking in accordance with my new diet and also concerned about the eating habits / styles of my guests. Very happy that they were pleased and I was able to adhere to my more healthy eating habits.

• Members

Care to share how you managed to lose 130 pounds? It would be an inspriation to several of us and especially if you mention how you plan to keep it off, not an easy task.

I know of many of the foibles of the human race personally and therefore am not making any kind of fun of your situation, merely asking a question.

Thanks for your reply and consideration.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Care to share how you managed to lose 130 pounds?

I've posted a few times in the health and fitness section on my weight loss journey. It started about 13 months ago and did it under the careful guidance of an MD specializing in weight loss.

The plan was to shock my body into ketosis. I cut off all carbs (bread, potato, rice, pasta, etc), caffeine, and carbonated drinks. For the first couple of weeks I had nothing but clear liquids and liquid vitamins. I then started slowly adding protein. The nutritionalist wanted me to get 80 g of protein per day and to take in at least 64 oz of water per day. (The clinic had a saying that water is water and anything but water is food.) So, I had to keep track of everything that went into my mouth that wasn't water.

The clinic had a step-by-step diet for every week of my journey. I followed their plan without deviation. It was very similar to the Atkin's diet.

I also received a wonderful packet of healthy recipes from Totally Oz. Since I've reached my weight loss goal, I've transitioned into maintenance mode and most of my meals are from Totally Oz.

During the weight loss phase I'd weigh myself in the morning and in the evening and chart the results. I also charted my ketosis levels. I used myfitnesspal to track my food intake. I still weigh myself daily and track my food. Even the slightest increase in weight results in an evaluation and change in my meals.

FYI, there have been 4 of us at work go through this program. We've lost a combined total of 710 lbs in the past year. I participate in a couple of weight loss forums and attend weight loss support groups at least monthly.

I've started eating more organic and healthy foods while avoiding processed stuff. My lunch is usually a salad and I tend to eat small portions of food 4-6 times per day. I'm much more aware of my blood sugar levels and try to keep it at a more constant level with more frequent meals.

This is not something that should be done "solo". I had careful and constant oversight by a qualified doctor and clinic. It was also a program covered as part of my health care insurance. In my state, there was only one clinic that met the insurance requirements of my policy.

As for the results, I've gone from a 3XL shirt to a medium. Pants were 48" waist and are now 34". Was on high blood pressure meds and using a CPAP for sleep apnea. My blood pressure is now almost too low and the CPAP is collecting dust in the closet. No more seat belt extender on the airlines and I actually fit into the seat.