Guest EXPAT

Dark Shadows - the movie

‎"Dark Shadows" movie cast photo. Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins. Helena Bonham Carter as Julia Hoffman. Michelle Pfeiffer as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard and Eva Green as Angelique Bouchard. I CANNOT WAIT for this movie. Surely a must-see.

post-105999-068549800 1316931728.jpg

In case you don't know the story:

In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family. Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet—or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy…until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green). A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive.

Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets. Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer) has called upon live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter), to help with her family troubles.

Also residing in the manor is Elizabeth’s ne’er-do-well brother, Roger Collins, (Jonny Lee Miller); her rebellious teenage daughter Carolyn Stoddard (Chloe Moretz); and Roger’s precocious 10-year-old son, David Collins (Gulliver McGrath). The mystery extends beyond the family, to caretaker Willie Loomis, played by Jackie Earle Haley, and David’s new nanny, Victoria Winters, played by Bella Heathcote.

Guest EXPAT

I can't wait for May 12 when this movie is released.

I just saw this still promo of "Barnabas Collins" aka Johnny Depp and had to share it.

post-105999-083526300 1330881756.jpg

YES! They are getting it right.

There was high excitement over this at last summer's annual fan convention...

http://www.darkshadowsfestival.com

Even curmudgeonly Frid expressed confidence that Depp and Burton would capture the essence.

(As, regrettably, the '90-'91 Ben Cross TV revival largely failed to do.)

Can't wait to see Helena Bonham Carter's turn as Julia Hoffman. Grayson Hall, alas, passed away just before I first attended the fan fest years ago.

Guest EXPAT

Another nice Dark Shadows (old and new) info source:

http://www.collinwood.net/

Love this site. I can't wait for this movie. I think it will be the hit of late Spring.

I'm putting together a fund raiser with a silent auction and the event is the night before this movie debuts. And one of the baskets I'm putting together is a "Dark Shadows" basket that has a lot of stuff in it that people can bid on in one bid relating to Dark Shadows. I need some ideas on how to fill the basket.

Love this site. I can't wait for this movie. I think it will be the hit of late Spring.

I'm putting together a fund raiser with a silent auction and the event is the night before this movie debuts. And one of the baskets I'm putting together is a "Dark Shadows" basket that has a lot of stuff in it that people can bid on in one bid relating to Dark Shadows. I need some ideas on how to fill the basket.

If there is any $ available for it, you can buy a fair amount of stuff off http://www.darkshadowsfestival.com -- CDs of the music, memoirs by various cast members, maybe signed cast photos (not sure if those are still available), calendars I think, etc.

You can't have my Angelique photo signed "To [my name] from Lara with love!" ;)

Guest EXPAT

If there is any $ available for it, you can buy a fair amount of stuff off http://www.darkshadowsfestival.com -- CDs of the music, memoirs by various cast members, maybe signed cast photos (not sure if those are still available).

You can't have my Angelique photo signed "To [my name] from Lara with love!" ;)

OMG. Angelique was my favorite character. Her eyes drove me crazy. Did she ever blink?

OMG. Angelique was my favorite character. Her eyes drove me crazy. Did she ever blink?

Said she taught herself not to blink for her audition, if I remember right. Still beautiful and youthful looking today.

P.S. By all means order the Blooper Reel CD. You know Dan Curtis was such a skinflint he would never shoot retakes -- just broadcast whatever they said wrong, sets falling apart, cameramen straying into the scene... Side-splitting!

• Members

In case you don't know the story:

In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family. Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet—or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy…until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green). A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive.

Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets. Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer) has called upon live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter), to help with her family troubles.

Also residing in the manor is Elizabeth’s ne’er-do-well brother, Roger Collins, (Jonny Lee Miller); her rebellious teenage daughter Carolyn Stoddard (Chloe Moretz); and Roger’s precocious 10-year-old son, David Collins (Gulliver McGrath). The mystery extends beyond the family, to caretaker Willie Loomis, played by Jackie Earle Haley, and David’s new nanny, Victoria Winters, played by Bella Heathcote.

I didn't know the story. Thanks Expat. While not a big fan of the current Vampire/Werewolf craze, this look interesting and I plan to see it.

I don't know ... This slant might just work to draw in today's audiences. I am as die-hard in the DS One True Faith as they come (e.g., steeped in drinking sessions with classically trained Frid, who is quite the lush, musing together for example over how various DS storylines mapped to Northrop Frye's theory in "Anatomy of Criticism" of the 4 Shakespearean genres. With Lara Parker, a former high school EnglIsh teacher, keeping both of us in line. All the while trying to keep our voices down lest John Karlen overhear and wander over to puncture our pomposities).

Ahem. Anyway, Depp has been reported saying how the movie is such a mix of many moods and inflections and, yes, genres. Making it difficult to pick out any one note on which to market it.

So I feel pretty sanguine that this trailer may just show one of many aspects of the flick. Also I don't object to the wry notes shown. That may be imperative today; Depp has pulled it off before, injecting that subtly self-aware/self-referential/faintly self-mocking note into even such solemn portrayals as in Legend of Sleepy Hollow. At minimum, it will avoid the deadly leaden lugubrious tone that helped sink the 1991 Ben Cross TV revival series.

... Pulse quickens with anticipation!

BTW, in the opening frame of that clip, do we see Roger having OJ for breakfast while Hoffman has what looks to be a glass of whiskey?!

This flick may rule. ^_^

P.S. Just reran vid. Evidently not a breakfast scene, as it includes Barnabas? In any case, Julia's alcoholism is said to be played up much more in the new film than in the original series.

But rewatching the clip a couple more times, I more and more suspect Burton and Depp may have gotten their vision right. We'll see.

Guest EXPAT

On second and third viewing it does look like a good movie. I hope the humor doesn't take away from the movie but sometimes Johnny Depp goes over board with his humor like in the pirate movies which are now way over the top in my opinion. I hope that there is still some dark elements in this movie because I lived the eeriness of the TV series. I'm sure I will be disappointed because this is one of the movies that I've been looking forward to for the last couple of years when I heard it was being made.

Guest hitoallusa

Adam Smith if I knew you could be bought then I would have ^_^

Note the Warner trailer has been re-activated.

The more I watch this, the more I love it. Consider me sold.

Guest EXPAT

Here is the NYTimes review of the movie. It opens at midnight tonight. As I expected, it's typical Tim Burton with limited story. This is really disappointing to me because I was hoping for a darker turn of the story. I will see it anyway and I'm sure I will be disappointed which is what happens with most movies Johnny Depp does (as far as story is concerned).

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/movies/johnny-depp-stars-in-tim-burtons-dark-shadows.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1336662609-AOXsQitBIDTMVHmd4QSNOg

Guest lurkerspeaks

My pending disappointment comes from this... Why are they taking old DRAMAS, and making them into comedies? When I first heard of the new Dark Shadows, I thought it would be a dark, shadowy drama like the original series. Same thing when I heard about 21 Jump Street. It was a reasonably good cop drama, and then they took it and made it into a comedy. What is next? Are gonna take old comedies and make them into dramas?