MsGuy

DADT officially a thing of the past.

• Members

So as of 12:01 AM, Sept. 20, 2011, DADT is is dead. I had to post something to memorialize the day.

When I was young, it wasn't so much that I didn't believe I would live long enough to see this day as that I couldn't conceive a world where it was even thinkable.

awesome-dadt-death-fight-flowers-gay-39584.jpg

I have good reason to believe that my father (WWII marine, decorated, battle field promotion to sgt., refused to accept a battle field promotion to lieutenant) was gay. Don't know for sure because by the time I was mature enough to put all the clues together, he had died and I couldn't ask. I wish he had lived long enough to share this day with me.

Hi MsGuy,

I found the text on the stone quite impressive and I'd like to know the exact text. Would you be able to fill in the missing dots? What I could read was:

When I was in the military

They gave me a medal for killing two ...

And a discharge for loving one.

Most of all I find it impressive to find this on a tombstone.

Sincerely, Anton.

• Members

Does anyone know if the people discharged under DOMA are not allowed to rejoin the service?

My understanding is that discarged gays can apply for re-enlistment on the same basis as any other honorably discharged former serviceman. Re-enlistment applications are judged on the basis of age, need for particular military skill sets, prior service record, etc. No special allowance for being involutarily separated, no compensation for lost years and no re-instatement at prior rank.

----

Anton: The missing word is "men".

• Members

There have been many interesting stories today surrounding the first offical day of the repeal of DADT. Some soldiers decided to get married today and a gay soldier that decided to come out to his Dad today. His Dad lives in Alabama and he called him from Afganistan, video taped the call and posted it on youtube, BTW the Dad tells him he still loves him and is proud of him.

Here is a link to the story and the youtube video is part of the story.

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2011/09/20/us-soldier-comes-out-to-his-father/

• Members

Just discovered this piece of bureaucratic insanity.

It seems that, while gays separated from the services under DADT were being given honorable discharges, by fiat of the Sec. of Def. they were entitled to only 1/2 the severance pay due others in like circumstances. A certain Staff Sgt. Richard Collins, feeling that adding economic injury to insult was just a bit too much, engaged the ACLU to help him recover $12,351 the Air Force gypped him out of.

Judge Christene Miller, the Federal Claims Court judge assigned the case, is questioning the wisdom of the Justice Department lawyers in pursuing their efforts to have the case dismissed in light of the recent demise of DADT.

One can only hope that, just this once, common sense and common decency will prevail over bureaucratic inertia, even within the bowels of the Justice Department.

krqe-mug-aclu-usaf-sgt-richard-collins-bd_20101112104624_320_240.JPG

Stick it to 'em, Staff Sergent!! :thumbsup: