Lucky

Dancing With Stars

• Members

Tristan, so hot and such a good dancer. Val, the same. Derek too. Was anyone else on the show? OH, Nancy grace, who will easily get the right wing vote.

If Chaz lasts a week, I will be dumbfounded. What a circus he is.

And that Carson guy. Is this what America sees as a gay man? What bugs me is that either Tristan, Val, or Derek could be gay and America will never know it until one of the closet guys has the guts to come out. Until then, Carson represents the gay community.

Guest hitoallusa

Chaz didn't finish last and he wasn't that bad according to an article. Now what I want to see is two hot guys dance together. Maybe Derek and Val.. lol

Tristan, so hot and such a good dancer. Val, the same. Derek too. Was anyone else on the show? OH, Nancy grace, who will easily get the right wing vote.

If Chaz lasts a week, I will be dumbfounded. What a circus he is.

And that Carson guy. Is this what America sees as a gay man? What bugs me is that either Tristan, Val, or Derek could be gay and America will never know it until one of the closet guys has the guts to come out. Until then, Carson represents the gay community.

• Members

We all know that Chaz is not on the show because of his dancing ability. He brings with him a whole media circus based upon who he is, and what he was. I wish him well, but do wonder why he took this on. The reason I don't think he will last is partly due to his mediocre skill at dancing, but more due to the right-wing vote coming in for Nancy Grace, a *** if there ever was one. (See- I can self-censor!)

Having said all of that, I wonder why a lot of folks take that show on.

Guest hitoallusa

I don't get Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly. Their shows and SNL should be cancelled. I guess people need to watch show like those to get something out of it but I really don't understand what good can come out of it. I think it's to design to give people a false sense of control. Yes they can make fun of politicians and those in power but in reality audience of those shows don't have any power. It's like "Yes you can make fun of us and waste your time on silly things and unproductive things. Then go to bed and to your work next day."

Are we talking Nancy Grace the dead baby ghoul? That gal seriously creeps me out.

For one thing, no one comes on this show for their dancing ability. The point is to bring people on who are out of their element.

And our community should support Chaz as the first transgender person to be so visible. It can only help tolerance. Bad mouthing him is not productive especially by this community.

So I request it to stop on this board and right NOW!

• Members

I don't get Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly...

I don't get how anybody could equate those things.

The first two use satire to say important things and to take a stand. For example...

The last two (plus Ann Coulter and Glenn Beck) will say absolutely anything that will help them earn another million dollars or keep another $10k of that million in the bank, no matter the long-term consequences, hypocrisy, or downright sleaze they must perpetrate--while saying that *they* are the true patriots and are speaking for the average joe (or for justice, morality, etc). It is the very height of cynicism, I can think of no better word yet that one is sorely lacking without at least a string of expletives to multiply it.

And the people who don't bother to inform themselves and choose a right from wrong, who sway like leaves in the wind in constant gusts of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt... you are mission fucking accomplished.

A vast middle class too busy with petty fears and manipulations to notice or care that you are rapidly slipping from middle class and will be the first American generation to have a financial outlook worse than your parents. But if this thought crosses your mind as you sit on crap Ikea furniture stuffing your maw with Cheetos, some new distraction always comes.

What never seems to come is the critical reasoning to say you know, that's bullshit. Somebody stands up and says something, you start to think they may be right, then a network of multimillionaires owned by one of the worlds wealthiest billionaires tells you no, no, that's wrong, the real problem here is [whatever is either a distraction or of benefit to the oligarchs], you're not convinced they're right either, but it's enough to get you to sit back down and reach for the remote.

Thus ends the dream that was America. Not with a bang, just the dusty crunch of a sat upon Cheeto.

• Members

We all know that Chaz is not on the show because of his dancing ability. He brings with him a whole media circus based upon who he is, and what he was. I wish him well, but do wonder why he took this on. The reason I don't think he will last is partly due to his mediocre skill at dancing, but more due to the right-wing vote coming in for Nancy Grace, a *** if there ever was one. (See- I can self-censor!)

Having said all of that, I wonder why a lot of folks take that show on.

Most contestants over the history were not selected for their dancing ability. Most are personalities with other credentials, acting sports, singers. Some are just manufactured pop celebrities. Most have population segments that either do or will follow them.

The idea is to attract viewers in order to sell soap, not to have a real dance contest. It is an entertainment show. If you want a real dance contest show stick with 'So You Think You Can Dance' -- great young talent with established choregraphers go head to head for a chance to establish serious careers.

People come on DWTS for a variety of reasons, some to resurrect careers or enhance careers. You cannot get more and much better publicity for free. Millions of people watch that show even if you cannot figure out why. Some come to change a perception. Palin did that. They invited her because she brought an audience. Chaz will bring a curious audience. He is probably hoping to find acceptance and if not that then tolerance.

As for the feeling that Carson Kressley is not the best poster boy for a gay man, maybe, maybe not, but he is very acceptable to me. If you are looking for more sex appeal they are others better suited. But there is more to a gay man than sex appeal -- at least that is a message the gay community has been trying to send to the straight community. If you are looking for more articulate there are better but he is articulate. I suppose he was chosen because he is a well-known to the straight community as a gay personality.

I think the gay community owes Carson and his Queer Eye pals a great deal for today improvements in gay acceptance. That includes Gay Marriage and DADT.

That show did a lot to make gay people into real people that the straight community found they could live with. Much of what the straight community knew about gays was movies like 'Cruising', gay pride parades with guys in tighty whities, sometimes less, parading down the streets in a liploc; news about happenings like the Folsom St Fair or Southern Decadence, etc. That scared people.

Carson and his QE buddies, and to a lesser extent the Gay Bachelor TV show, humanized Queers for the public like never before. They showed the gay community was not primarily defined by 'creepy, pervert, public libertines' but responsible people with jobs, who observe civil norms in public and have every-day life-concerns like everyone else.

That helped people understand that a lot of the gay community are stable members of society. That led to an opening up of gays in society and straight society to gays. It convinced many that they are just like everyone else except for sexual preference. That gays had a real desire for the commitments and benefits of marriage and that they could hold and shoot a gun like anyone else; and share a fox hole free of sexual harassment. That they didn't have to be shunned in order to avoid catching 'the gay'.

Carson may not be my type but he is representative of part of the gay community and has done much to help the gay community achieve broader acceptance. I have no problem with him being one of the gay poster boys.

Guest hitoallusa

Carson is a guy I like to go shopping with. It will be so fun. Well I can be annoying and embarrassing since I try all the shoes in a store and buy nothing.. lol..

Carson may not be my type but he is representative of part of the gay community and has done much to help the gay community achieve broader acceptance. I have no problem with him being one of a number of gay poster boys.

• Members

EXPAT, telling others on the board how they must respond to a tv show is crass and dictatorial; it's an insult to your fellow posters. Beyond that it is just stupid. It isn't going to work.

I don't support Chaz on this show. I can think of venues where I do support him- like courtrooms.

• Members

Can someone help me out on "the Chaz legally a man thing." Okay. He had the boobs chopped off. He takes hormones. He has the facial hair, wispt thought it is, going on. Okay. But he still has the va-jay-jay problem. From what I have read, still no faux peen. How does this go then? Lucee, you got sum 'splainin to do!