Lucky

Movie: Straw Dogs

• Members

Today I discovered my personal limit on what I am willing to see on the movie screen. As much as I like James Marsden, I left the movie after an hour. Gruesome is too generous a term for what they put on the screen.

I didn't see the Peckinpah version, so I guess I only had a small idea of what I was in for.

Guest JamesIvory

It has been years since I walked out of a movie but when I did I went straight to the box office and requested my money back. After a few minutes of finding a manager who could refund my ticket and filling out a very brief form I was on my way. It was the principal not so much the money itself.

• Members

Alexander-Skarsgard-sexy-norseman.jpg

Alexander Skarsgård plays the main villain, and in the rape scene he is shirtless, and hunkier than in the above pic. The camera lingers over his bare torso, and it is erotic, but then, the character is such a creep. This is when I walked out- at the point where I had some lust for a rapist! His creepy buddies were waiting their turn, and that I wasn't going to see!

(No spoiler as the rape is mentioned in the reviews, and is apparently a well-known plot point of the earlier film.)

• Members

Alexander-Skarsgard-sexy-norseman.jpg

Alexander Skarsgård plays the main villain, and in the rape scene he is shirtless, and hunkier than in the above pic. The camera lingers over his bare torso, and it is erotic, but then, the character is such a creep. This is when I walked out- at the point where I had some lust for a rapist! His creepy buddies were waiting their turn, and that I wasn't going to see!

(No spoiler as the rape is mentioned in the reviews, and is apparently a well-known plot point of the earlier film.)

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Alexander-Skarsgard-sexy-norseman.jpg

Guest hitoallusa

I hate scary or gruesome movies. You can always ask the ticketing clerk that you want to see another movie. They will give you a stamp on your ticket so you can come back for something else.

Today I discovered my personal limit on what I am willing to see on the movie screen. As much as I like James Marsden, I left the movie after an hour. Gruesome is too generous a term for what they put on the screen.

I didn't see the Peckinpah version, so I guess I only had a small idea of what I was in for.

• Members

I hate scary or gruesome movies. You can always ask the ticketing clerk that you want to see another movie. They will give you a stamp on your ticket so you can come back for something else.

The Peckinpah Trifecta: The Wild Bunch, Straw Dogs and Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia.

In a five year period, he crafted three classics of the genre. And not a clue....

Guest lurkerspeaks

I saw Straw Dogs yesterday. Yes, it is pretty gruesome, bloody, etc, but I didn't think the rape scene was THAT intense. I forget the name of the movie with Jody Foster as a rape victim. That rape took place in a bar, on top of a pinball machine. THAT rape scene was much more intense, IMHO.

• Members

I saw Straw Dogs yesterday. Yes, it is pretty gruesome, bloody, etc, but I didn't think the rape scene was THAT intense. I forget the name of the movie with Jody Foster as a rape victim. That rape took place in a bar, on top of a pinball machine. THAT rape scene was much more intense, IMHO.

LOL. How intense does it have to be? And this was a gang rape, even if they didn't show each guy. Rape as entertainment is only entertaining until it's you or your family or friend getting raped. Then it's not funny at all. What kind of society are we, really, where this becomes mainstream entertainment?