Guest JamesIvory

Will You Still Donate?

Guest JamesIvory

Being kicked around the halls of our government is a bill that will eliminate the tax deduction for donations to charitable places or causes. If this bill passes would you still donate and if so as much as you normally do?

Guest CharliePS

Being kicked around the halls of our government is a bill that will eliminate the tax deduction for donations to charitable places or causes. If this bill passes would you still donate and if so as much as you normally do?

I will continue to donate at the same level, because the charitable deduction doesn't mean very much to me. The people who give millions probably don't care about it either. But it's all those people who give in the tens and hundreds of thousands who are likely to reconsider whether to donate.

• Members

Yes, I will still donate regardless of the tax consequences, but, like some others, I do give, but, not necessarily until it "hurts".

Best regards,

RA1

Guest JamesIvory

I will continue to donate at the same level, because the charitable deduction doesn't mean very much to me.

Actually most people feel this way. That people give because they want to not because of the deduction. A smaller amount of people said they would continue to give but be more selective and not as much according to the news story.

I think I will probably give the same amount regardless if the bill ever passes or not. I rarely even remember to claim the deduction each year anyway.

Color me selfish, but it will have an impact upon my giving. Mostly at the margins, but I'll give less.

For instance, I annually give a fair bit in used stuff to goodwill. I would like either ebay or toss it without the deduction.

Several of the charities I give to that are on the margin of my interest would also probably lose out.