BiBottomBoy

What Will You Do On 9/11

Guest CharliePS

It doesn't matter what Bin Laden said or thought, we have lost many of our freedoms and in that regard, the terrorists have "won".

I repeat my theme about US citizens taking responsibility for whatever happens to each and every one of us within the limits of their physical abilities. The TSA can be reduced to checking for metal and virtually nothing else, IF each and every passenger would take the responsibility of preventing any hijacking or terrorist activities. This would be similar to asking and requiring the persons sitting at the emergency exits IF they can and will assume the responsibility of opening the exit and helping others get out, if required. This is something we all can do.

As far as using the destruction of the twin towers to enrage or attract the populace for action, I only have this to say: No real pilot who was alive at the time of the attacks on US, the citizens of the USA, will every forget that they used American airliners to perpetrate their awful activities. We take it personally and always will.

Best regards,

RA1

The problem with the comparison to the exit row seat situation is that the passengers sitting there almost never have to prove that they actually will do what they agree to do, and they know it. Innumerable studies have shown that in a real or faked emergency situation, even people who know what they should do, won't do it, unless they actually see someone else do it. Look how many workers at the WTC stayed in their offices even though they could have left in time, because their colleagues were reluctant to go. Individuals won't react to things that arouse their suspicion, because they fear they may be wrong. On a site like this, where most posters are anonymous, how many would write honest negative reviews or point out suspicious-looking reviews or ads, if they knew they would be personally held responsible?

• Members

And while we are busy taking our shoes off, some TSA officers are taking bribes to let drugs get through security:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/nyregion/tsa-officers-arrested-in-drug-smuggling-conspiracy.html?ref=nyregion

Or, even worse:

On one occasion, a witness wearing a police wire sought advice from Officer Jones about how best to smuggle a handgun through security and coordinated with her to make sure Officer Jones could guide him through the screening checkpoint at the Westchester airport, in Harrison, N.Y.

• Members

The problem with the comparison to the exit row seat situation is that the passengers sitting there almost never have to prove that they actually will do what they agree to do, and they know it. Innumerable studies have shown that in a real or faked emergency situation, even people who know what they should do, won't do it, unless they actually see someone else do it. Look how many workers at the WTC stayed in their offices even though they could have left in time, because their colleagues were reluctant to go. Individuals won't react to things that arouse their suspicion, because they fear they may be wrong. On a site like this, where most posters are anonymous, how many would write honest negative reviews or point out suspicious-looking reviews or ads, if they knew they would be personally held responsible?

No one, including me, wants to prove they will do what they "agree" to do in these situations. However, it won't take many, perhaps only one, incident to show the world, mainly terrorists, that we mean business. I think most, by far, US citizens will be willing to take the responibility to take care of themselves and others as and when the situation suggests and especially if the "leadership" agrees and offers the same.

I think that most will assume the purpose of being "first" and do what is required, IF they are so informed in advance or in the ordinary course of living. We must take back our civil rights and advance the USA.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

No one, including me, wants to prove they will do what they "agree" to do in these situations. However, it won't take many, perhaps only one, incident to show the world, mainly terrorists, that we mean business. I think most, by far, US citizens will be willing to take the responibility to take care of themselves and others as and when the situation suggests and especially if the "leadership" agrees and offers the same.

I think that most will assume the purpose of being "first" and do what is required, IF they are so informed in advance or in the ordinary course of living. We must take back our civil rights and advance the USA.

Best regards,

RA1

But we have already had those incidents, from UA 93 to the shoe bomber (when other passengers fought to keep him from igniting his shoes) to the underpants bomber (when passengers alerted the crew and helped get him under control). They have shown the terrorists that "we mean business" but that won't stop terrorists from continuing to try. And I don't believe that we can always count on people to "do the right thing" with pep talks.

However, I do agree that we have pursued a will-o'-the-wisp with our obsession with security, no matter what the cost in rights or money. I think we have to accept that there are no guarantees of perfect security, no matter how much we sacrifice, and if every threat results in more restrictions, we will end up with a totalitarian society.