TampaYankee

Where Do You Reside?

• Members

I've been around this scene for the better part of a dozen years. In that time I have read hundreds of posters. It was easy to identify the region some of them resided in from their posts, for one reason or another. The vast majority remain unknown to me. That is no big deal as I don't really care where particular individuals live.

However, it is a curiosity to me where most of our traffic and posters reside in the large. It is my impression during my tenure here that more regulars are West Coasters, although the South and Northeast and Midwest are represented as well as Europe.

To feed my curiosity I have created a poll to find out where our concentration of particpants are located. If you have more than one residence then please choose what you deem to be your primary residence.

I hope that all posters and readers will take this opportunity to participate in this poll. I do not care who you are or if you post in the forums or submit reviews. Any level of participation in the site qualifies you for the poll. That means everyone who reads a review or profile or forum post.

The poll is 100% anonymous. No need to identify your residence with your screen name. If you wish to that is no problem either.

Please take a second to participate.

P.S. I have had to add a second list to accommodate more locations. Although your residence location is in one of the lists the software requires that you make a selection in both lists. (It thinks the poll is asking two questions. That is how I tricked it to add more locations beyond the first 20 which was a limit for one list.)

Thus you MUST make a selection in each list for the software to register your location entry. I have added a dummy response line in each list to satisfy the software. So, if you are not in the first list then select the last button in that list and make your selection in the second list. Else, select your location in the first list and select the 'Not in this list; button in the second list.

Sorry for the cumbersome set up.

• Members

I am sure you have your own demographic reasons for delineating the states the way you do but it does casually raise some questions. Why wouldn't KY be considered part of the South? Not sure that WY and MT consider them plains states. Etc.

Just curious.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Why wouldn't KY be considered part of the South?

Just curious.

Best regards,

RA1

As a border state many parts of KY relate more to the Mid-West, primarily the Northern populous areas. The area I live in relates more to the Chicago area actually but 70 miles northeast of where I live you would think you where in Ohio. Cincinnati Ohio's's airport is even in Northern KY. The Central, Southern, and Bluegarss areas are very Southern and extreme Western KY sometimes seems like they are part of Missouri or Illinois. The mountains area of Appalachia seem to be in a world of their own but does have more of a southern feel to the people especially and speak with a distinct Southern accent. But I do consider myself a Southerner.

The areas of KY are very varied, part of the charm of the state that was originally part of Virginia.

Guest gcursor

I know what you're going to say. OH NO..here comes Gcursor (the outlier)....I would like a choice that says "In a house" because that's where I reside..the question itself is vague and somewhat ambiguous ^_^

• Members

TN is also just about a varied as KY but for slightly different reasons. Mountain folks in the east, plateau folks in the middle and delta folks in the west. That is an extreme over simplification of how TN "is".

I personally have enjoyed going to Canada every time that I have gone and that is many, many times, on business. However, I have no need to harvest a crop of snow. ^_^ That is a reference to a recent comic strip which appeared in US newspapers and is only mentioned for (mild) humour.

There are many things to know and enjoy about every area of the world. I hope we will focus on that. In other words, no bitching. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I am sure you have your own demographic reasons for delineating the states the way you do but it does casually raise some questions. Why wouldn't KY be considered part of the South?

South (including KY) other than Florida, Texas

I believe this lumps KY into the South? If you mean why I didn't leave it an unstated assumption then I guess I let it's Civil War neutrality and later petition to the Union to 'protect it' obscure my recall of the exact Mason Dixon Line. Sorry.

Not sure that WY and MT consider them plains states. Etc.

Simply, I was limited to 20 options and it was that or leave them out. As it is, I was forced to lump SE Asia, China, and Japan all under one umbrella though I wanted to break them out.

• Members

I am sorry about Canada. Actually it was high on my list (after the US) but I got caught up in scoping out all the options and well... when you get older you will understand... lol.

I have nothing against Canada and having known nothing about it for most of my life, beyond what American textbooks say about it -- not much. I was pleasantly impressed with my first visits to MTL and Quebec City twenty five years ago, and a little later with Vancouver and Vancouver Island. A decade ago I renewed my acquaintance with return trips to those cities and had wonderful experiences again, but these times as a divorced out man. That led to repeated trips to both coasts. If I were a younger man I would probably be residing in Canada today.

P.S. I just found out how to add more options to the poll. This was my first attempt at creating one. I always love it when my learning curve goes public. :D

• Members

Didn't seem to accept my vote:

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10355] You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

I voted Texas and there is 1 showing in results. Could be my response or someone else's.

• Members

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

I voted Texas and there is 1 showing in results. Could be my response or someone else's.

I got the same error message.

• Members

An Error Occurred

Sorry about that. That is a wrinkle I did not anticipate but that is no secret. I have added a kluge to get around this obstacle. I added a dummy response line in each list so if you are Canadian or Aussie/Kiwi then select the last button in the first list and record your residence location in the second list.

For everyone else make your selection in the first list and select the 'Not in this list' button in the second list.

No complaints about the Canadians Aussies and Kiwis getting special treatment. :lol: