TampaYankee

America's Favorite Burger Chains

• Members

Five Guys, Subway Top In-N-Out, Taco Bell In Zagat's Fast Food Survey

s-ZAGAT-FAST-FOOD-SURVEY-large300.jpg

Zagat recently polled 6,064 people for its annual Fast Food Survey, in categories ranging from best coffee (Starbucks) to best salad (Panera). Among chains with up to 5,000 locations, Five Guys was deemed the most popular (which perhaps comes as no surprise), followed by Panera, Chipotle, Chick-fil-A and in fifth place, In-N-Out. Last year, Five Guys also took top prize, though In-N-Out was the victor in 2009. Five Guys was not only the most popular chain; it also dominated the best burger category, putting In-N-Out in second place and McDonald's in fifth. McDonald's did, however, rank highest in value, child-friendliness and drive-thru experience.

Among chains with over 5,000 locations, Subway took the top popularity spot, followed by McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King and Taco Bell bringing up the rear.

The survey also covered full-service chains. Cheesecake Factory won in best salads, appetizers, desserts and value, but fell to fifth place for its pasta offerings. Although Maggiano's Little Italy dominated the pasta category, its value, steak and seafood were not as well-liked. Other notable winners included Red Robin for its burger, IHOP for its coffee and Cracker Barrel for its breakfast.

The survey participants averaged 6.3 meals per month at a fast food chain (the national average is about 10 fast food meals monthly) and 4.4 visits to a full-service chain.

Here are some of the key results of Zagat's fast food survey:

Fast Food - Large Chains

1. Five Guys

2. Panera Bread

3. Chipotle Mexican Grill

4. Chick-fil-A

5. In-N-Out Burger

Fast Food - Mega Chains

1. Subway

2. McDonald's

3. Wendy's

4. Burger King

5. Taco Bell

Best Burger

1. Five Guys

2. In-N-Out Burger

3. Wendy's

4. Burger King

5. McDonald's

Best French Fries

1. McDonald's

2. Five Guys

3. Wendy's

4. In-N-Out Burger

5. Chick-fil-A

See original article for more and to vote if so moved:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/zagat-fast-food-survey_n_950167.html

Guest hitoallusa

I love Wendy's better than McDonald. I don't know what is about McDonald's dine in tax or take out tax. I'm not going there because of that. Wendy's has a good vale menu too. I can just get a cup of chili for a dollar. You can't beat that.

• Members

I love Wendy's better than McDonald. I don't know what is about McDonald's dine in tax or take out tax. I'm not going there because of that. Wendy's has a good vale menu too. I can just get a cup of chili for a dollar. You can't beat that.

I suspect that tax is determined by the state and not MacDonald's. My state doesn't care where you eat it, they want their money.

For all of you youngsters who are too young to have known the real MacDonals's fries, it is a culinary experience that is unable to put into simple words. Today's rendition is more akin to cardboard fries.

In my youth they peeled and cut real potatoes in plain view in the restaurant, from Idahos damn near the size of footballs. Nothing cooked out of bags from freezers. The fresh fries were cooked in animal fat and was the world gold standard for fries. Truly delicious.

A bag of fries cost 12 cents. Hamburgers were 15 cents and a shake was 20 cents. An entire meal -- a couple of burgers, fries and a shake -- for under a dollar with change back. Yeah, that was a while ago.

There was one downside to the perfect fry. When they got cold they were really greasy, but that was easily avoided by eating them hot. :thumbsup:

Guest hitoallusa

I love fries and can eat them all day. The problem is my cholesterol is through the roof so I gave them up. But you started my cravings for them tonight. If I eat them with some Aspirins maybe it's going to be ok. ^_^

• Members

When McDonald's came to MEM we thought it was a joke and fad. The food was kept warm by heat lamps and tasted every bit as bad as one could imagine unless you got one at the height of a meal time. Whoever heard of cooking food ahead of time? Ugh. The "milk shakes" actually tasted warm because they used so much stabilizer in them. Everything they served was according to their own formula and was not very much like any other food products. It was a product, not what I call real food.

As you suggest, they also prepared their fries also according to a formula. They cut them, soaked them in a sink under water, dried them and then cooked them in beef tallow. As you also suggest, they were tasty when hot and also very bad for you. Probably the only product that most considered to be "real food" even though bad for you.

Obviously, McDonald's wasn't a fad and they improved their products but continued to make them according to their own formulae. I understand that portion control and "quality" control are part of making a profit. I certainly expect that in a fast food outlet. I don't enjoy it nearly as much in an establishment that has some right to call themselves a restaurant. However, it is a fact of life these days.

Like many who are older and hopefully a little wiser, I do not eat in fast food places very often now. I don't think I have been in a McDonald's in over 10 years.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

Occasionally the bf and I go up to the In and Out Burger for a Saturday night meal. We try to avoid the others, although Chick Fil-A would suit me if one were in my area.

Aww you guys are so cute to have a date night.

Guest JamesIvory

Five Guys is tops for myself. My very close friend also gives it high marks. The burgers are full of flavor and the fries are always fresh. I don't really think of Panera Bread as fast food. They do have a few tasty sandwiches and its a nice place to meet up with a buddy for lunch now and then.

Guest hitoallusa

I always feel hungry after eating at Panera Bread so I stopped going there. After eating there I have to go some place else again or eat snacks. :shocked:

Five Guys is tops for myself. My very close friend also gives it high marks. The burgers are full of flavor and the fries are always fresh. I don't really think of Panera Bread as fast food. They do have a few tasty sandwiches and its a nice place to meet up with a buddy for lunch now and then.

Even though I like the sandwiches at Chick-Fil-A, I have a hard time eating there now that their corporation supports NOM and other "what I call" hate organizations. Their religious bent to their business (always closed on Sunday) didn't bother me until they started actively supporting those "what I call" hate organizations.

• Members

I had a Five Guys burger and fries for the first time last night,I thought it was fine except the bun is not sturdy enough to support the fillings.The fries were very good-but way too big of a portion for one person.

I had been to Five guys before-for a hot dog and I actually prefer thier hot dogs to their hamburgers.