Lucky

Dog Did Not Keep Graveside Vigil After All

• Members

Sad as it is to learn for those of us who have made the pilgrimage to the grave of Greyfriars Bobby in Edinburgh, Scotland, the legend of his maintaining a vigil at the grave of his deceased owner for 14 years is poppycock.

Apparently the story was made up to encourage pilgrims to his grave to visit the hostelry next to the graveyard. Yet the legend lasted some 150 years until now debunked by a Swedish historian,who says the dog did not stick it out through hail, snow, and frost.

The historian claims that the story was made up by a pair of men interested in financial gain. They used a stray dog, trained him to stay near the cemetery, and replaced him when he died.

This shattering story parallels the loss of the Santa Claus myth for some dog lovers. Children have left their favorite toys at the dog's grave. Gift shops nearby have made a fortune selling images of Bobby and other bric a brac. There are Bobby mouse pads and Bobby bottle openers.

The Wall Street Journal revealed the news of the deceit in today's issue.

Even beloved Internet legend Lucky has visited the graveyard where Bobby is memorialized, and is shattered to hear that the legend is not so. Condolence cards may be added to this thread.

The Legend, from rampantscotland.com:

Did You Know?

- Greyfriar's Bobby

bobby_2.jpg

According to the commonly accepted story, Bobby was a Skye Terrier dog belonging to a Jock Gray, a farmer from the Pentland Hills, who regularly dined at an inn in Grassmarket, not far from Greyfriar's Churchyard.

When Jock Gray, died in 1858, the dog refused to leave his master's grave. He turned up regularly for 14 years at the inn at Grassmarket which had been frequented by his master and was fed there by locals who were taken by the dog's devotion. The story may have been embellished by John Traill, the owner of the restaurant.

Other versions suggest that the dog belonged to a local policeman and that while the dog was frequently found in the churchyard, it was also looked after by residents in the houses in nearby Candlemaker's Row.

Greyfriar's Bobby died on 14 January 1872.

The story first came to prominence in the 1890s when Eleanor Atkinson, an American, first wrote the story which became a first reading book for a generation of many Americans who now love the story so much.

The cute life-size statue to Bobby (undoubtedly the most photographed dog in Edinburgh) was erected on top of a drinking fountain outside Greyfriar's Churchyard shortly after the dog's death and in more recent times Walt Disney made a film about the dog's devotion.

• Members

Dogs and other animals will generally go where they can be fed. That is not to say they do not miss their "owners" and "friends". I see very little wrong with this tale but I am not willing to believe it other than as "dreaming" for something beyond "reality".

My father's sister (my aunt) was married but childless. She had a great affection for pets and left her house in her will for perpetual care for the remaining cats and dogs. She also appointed a "friend and neighbor" as executrix for this provision with living in the house a benefit. Strangely enough, these pets lived for many, many years, far beyond the normal life span of cats and dogs. I suppose the financial aspect of living in a rent free house had no bearing with this "animal lover"? It did not really matter to me as I was not mentioned in the will anyway. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

PS--Could it be said that the later cats and dogs looked liked offspring? Surely not. ^_^