TotallyOz

What Kind of Phone Do you Use?

I love gadgets and I have had an IPhone in the past but switched to a Nokia as it has a great camera and HiDef video recorder. I think the IPhone 5 will come to and meet more expectations but I am not sure.

I did see the new Samsung Note which looks fabulous!

What phone do you use? Why?

Guest hitoallusa

I use anything that works. iPhone is overrated in my opinion and it distracts people a lot.

I love gadgets and I have had an IPhone in the past but switched to a Nokia as it has a great camera and HiDef video recorder. I think the IPhone 5 will come to and meet more expectations but I am not sure.

I did see the new Samsung Note which looks fabulous!

What phone do you use? Why?

iPhone 3Gs and I will upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it is released. It's basically a small computer/iPod/phone all in one and it works seamlessly anywhere I go. Best device I've ever owned.

Guest JamesIvory

The Samsung you mentioned is called the Note and its too huge to be used as a phone on a daily basis IMHO. But Android in general seems to have more options than the iPhone. You might like the Galaxy S2 coming out next month on US carriers, already released in Europe.

I had worked about 6 years for Research In Motion so obviously use a BlackBerry. However, I'll be strongly considering the iPhone 5 upon its release.

• Members

My personal cell phone is a LG Accolade. I don't have a data plan for it, no text messaging. I just use it as a basic phone (can't even download pictures from the cam since I don't have a data plan).

My work cell phone is an HTC. It's wonderful and I really like it.

Guest JamesIvory

My personal cell phone is a LG Accolade. I don't have a data plan for it, no text messaging. I just use it as a basic phone (can't even download pictures from the cam since I don't have a data plan).

I know how important pics are to each of us. Sounds as if you might have some on your personal phone you want to save.

Try to use the micro USB to connect to your computer. Then drag and drop them from the phone to your computer.

If that doesn't work on some devices you can bluetooth pics from one to another. Maybe try it with your work phone.

Guest CharliePS

I have a seven year old LG cellphone; it was free with the Cellular contract, now AT&T, and still says "Welcome to Cellular" when I turn it on. I don't know how to use it for anything except making regular phone calls. (The screen says I have five text messages, but I don't know how to access them, and I don't care, since they can't be from anyone who knows me; Lucky is the only person who even knows my phone number.) Whenever I am getting ready to travel, I wonder whether I ought to get a smart phone, so I could check my emails and maybe get on the net if necessary, but it seems like a ridiculous expense for something I would hardly ever need to use--I make only about two dozen cell phone calls per year.

Every year I go to visit an old friend who lives in a small town in Oregon. My phone usually doesn't work in his house, and he doesn't have a computer or even a tv. It is strange but not unpleasant to be almost completely cut off from the modern world.

Guest CharliePS

I have a seven year old LG cellphone; it was free with the Cellular contract, now AT&T, and still says "Welcome to Cellular" when I turn it on. I don't know how to use it for anything except making regular phone calls. (The screen says I have five text messages, but I don't know how to access them, and I don't care, since they can't be from anyone who knows me; Lucky is the only person who even knows my phone number.) Whenever I am getting ready to travel, I wonder whether I ought to get a smart phone, so I could check my emails and maybe get on the net if necessary, but it seems like a ridiculous expense for something I would hardly ever need to use--I make only about two dozen cell phone calls per year.

Every year I go to visit an old friend who lives in a small town in Oregon. My phone usually doesn't work in his house, and he doesn't have a computer or even a tv. It is strange but not unpleasant to be almost completely cut off from the modern world.

I just tried to turn on my cellphone, and I realized it actually says "Welcome to CINGULAR." Unfortunately, sometimes it doesn't say anything, just a blank lighted screen, so I am thinking of replacing it, but I don't know whether it is worthwhile for me to get a phone on which I could access the web as well. I would only do that with the phone when I'm traveling, which isn't that often anymore, and I worry about being stuck with a contract for stuff I don't use. Any advice?

Guest gcursor

I use some type of cheap Nokia Verizon wireless "non-smart" cell phone. I wouldn't carry one for the longest time and then my parents asked me to carry one for "emergencies". Personally I believe that if I'm not available then I'M NOT AVAILABLE which means I'm not listening to the cell phone. There are very few people who have my cell phone number and typically I always have the ringer on SILENT mode all the time so as not to disturb me.

Gcursor

• Members

I'm *still* using a Windows Mobile phone. I loved that years before the iPhone came out I could tether (getting DSL speed through my cell phone instead of paying for access in hotels or airports), watch movies, customize a bunch of stuff, and not need uncle Steve's permission to run any app I wanted.

But I'm not too keen on the new Windows phones, because they dumbed them way down (to compete with the iPhone...). That said, I've heard a lot of great stuff about the latest update, people here might want to consider one.

My next phone is likely to be Android. They usually have pretty dismal battery life but can do anything you can think of wanting to do with a phone (barely) pocketable computer. I'm just hoping for a powerful one *with* a keyboard, like ATT is rumored to be getting RSN from Samsung.

I tried a Motorola Atrix for a couple weeks, liked a lot of things about it but between ATT and Motorola it was stuffed full of useless crap, was slow to get updates, locked down, and really got on my nerves with all the stupid little things that weren't customizable. The biggest problem was the price combined with the fact that at the time there was nothing that could make use of all its' processing power, both of those problems are somewhat better now, I'm sure, and with Google buying Moto it's possible many of the others are as well.

I stick with ATT because I'm grandfathered into a great plan (was ATT before Cingular). If I wasn't I'd probably lean towards Verizon--their coverage just seems much better.