BiBottomBoy

London Library Card Invasion Of Privacy

This sounds as a violation of the European Privacy Directive, which applies in the UK as well.

One of the things the directive says is that an organisation can only collect data from individuals if there's a reasonable ground why they need that information. They must need the information to fulfill their services or if law demands that they ask the information.

Unfortuntely, probably it takes someone to sue them before they'll stop doing it.

LOL, or does the management of the library want to organise gay parties and they want to send out invitations? :P

Sincerely, Anton.

I didn't have to fill out any information like that when I got my library card in London. They just asked for my work permit number since I was an American in London and a local address/phone which I had of course.

• Members

The library should be able to tell the needs for, say, gay books, from the demographics of the neighborhood. But somehow those demographics were collected by asking folks about these same questions. So, who should do the asking?