Guest JamesIvory

Pressure Cooking?

Guest JamesIvory

Do any of you guys use a pressure cooker on a regular or semi regular basis? If so I like to hear your experiences on ease of use, types of foods, benefits and any drawbacks.

I ask because a close friend who is a nutritionist at a nearby medical center strongly has suggested I use one. She said the ease of use plus benefits will be good for me.

• Members

Do any of you guys use a pressure cooker on a regular or semi regular basis? If so I like to hear your experiences on ease of use, types of foods, benefits and any drawbacks.

I ask because a close friend who is a nutritionist at a nearby medical center strongly has suggested I use one. She said the ease of use plus benefits will be good for me.

Not particularly easy to use, not hard either. Potentially dangerous if not used correctly. I do not use because I have no real need for it.

Pressure cookers usually used for one of two reasons: 1) canning low acid vegetables and meats. 2) rapid cooking foods that normally take longer times.

Low acid vegetables and fruits need to be canned at 240 degress for some minimum time period in order to stop the growth of botulism in the product. Botulism does not grow in acid environments found with fruits, pickles etc. Processing in a boiling water bath (212 degrees) will suffice for those foods.

When a cook has a tough piece of meat or a large food item that takes more time to cook properly than is available then cooking in a pressure cooker at a super high temperature shortens the cook time.

Your nutritionist may argue that rapid cooking preserves more nutrients. Maybe, maye not, as the higher temperatures may break nutrients down faster. I do not know. If there are other health reasons then I am unaware of them.

• Members

I remember my mom using a pressure cooker during canning season when I was younger. I don't remember her ever "cooking" with it though. I believe it is still in the basement but I have never used it. I agree that they must be used correctly for safety reasons. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

I had a Brazilian boyfriend at one point and he loved cooking with a pressure cooker. He would make some of most amazing meets that were mixed with vegetables and the taste was absolutely divine.

I do remember the pressure cooker exploding at one point and making a mess of our entire kitchen. I wasn't so concerned with the mass, as I was that if one of us had been near it we would've had serious burns. After that, we bought a very high-end pressure cooker and it was guaranteed not to explode. I have never been able to find that cooker online or in any store.

I also remember my mother using a pressure cooker a great deal growing up as a child. But she would also use a pressure cooker for canning vegetables. Not once did hers ever explode. Perhaps that's the difference between a good Southern cook, and to Queens in New York City trying to cook some good food.

Guest hitoallusa

My mom used to use a pressure cooker for cooking rice. I thought the rice out of a pressure cooker tasted.. more ... moist and I can't come up with a word that describes its texture.. I just use my regular rice cooker and it is good enough for me.. I know it's a bit of exaggeration but my mom told me if I was not careful with a pressure cooker than you can put a hole in your roof.

Guest JamesIvory

Thanks for all the replies. I think my friend is just trying to get me to eat healthier.I probably can achieve the same status by throwing a chicken breast in a skillet with some mixed veggies.

Guest hitoallusa

Aww bless your friend's heart. It is always nice to have someone who cares about you.

Thanks for all the replies. I think my friend is just trying to get me to eat healthier.I probably can achieve the same status by throwing a chicken breast in a skillet with some mixed veggies.