Lucky

New York Hotel Prices

• Members

The Edison Hotel for $297 a night? I once had a suite there for $125, but my mom had to barricade the door at night as the floor was full of strange characters. We moved to the Marriott Marquis for $159 a night.

The Hilton Towers, where I have stayed for as little as $88 a night is now $391.

The Hilton Garden Inn is $389, and that's supposed to be a Hilton Jr.

Most 3 star hotels list around $300 a night. 2 Stars run about$225.

I love New York, but like Rio, my visits there may become fewer.

Guest tomcal

I was looking at hotel prices in NYC yesterday for mid september. Instead of flying direct to Prague via London like I usually do, I thought I would fly to NYC spend a day and night and continue on the next day. The airfare was no different and I would get some rest b/4 my long weekend in Prague. When I went online, I could not find ONE hotel in Manhatten under $450 for that night! Hotels like the Sheraton Four points in Chelsea where the rooms are about the size of your average closet were $475.! Fortunately I have several friends with condos in Manhatten and they were going to be out of town that week, so they offered their place! But Lucky is right the hotel pricing in NYC and Rio have gone thru the roof! The recession hasn't hit NYC hotels!

• Members

If it were not for those friggingly-high hotel prices in New York City, I, too, would be visiting "mecca" far, far more often as well. In 2007 I stayed in two hotels prior to my going to and coming from Egypt. Each hotel cost me over $225+ per night, and they were far from being worth it!!

It looks like sometime in 2012 I'll be making my trek (I hope treks back to "The Big Apple!)

In terms of Rio, my amigo and I will be staying in an apartment in Copacabana this time after having stayed at both The Atlantico and the Royal Rio Hotel in the past. We'll escape the raised prices at this type of lodinging!

I use my points when I stay in NYC. I am staying there for 10 days in November and I used points for them all. Try to save up your hotel points or CC points and use them in NYC. When I stay in other cites, I pay but in NYC and Rio, I have been using points.

• Members

But Lucky is right the hotel pricing in NYC and Rio have gone thru the roof! The recession hasn't hit NYC hotels!

This just reflects that NYC and Rio are international markets and the dollar is in the toilet vs other currencies. The international travelers set the market. If you want a cheap stay go to Omaha. They don't get so much international trade. They still think the dollar is worth something.

Guest JamesIvory

its not just hotel rates has anyone tried renting a car recently at one of the airports? Last weekend at Newark an average car was renting for $175. x day. Priceline fared slightly better the same vehicle could be won via bid for $90. x day. Still outrageous.

• Members

This just reflects that NYC and Rio are international markets and the dollar is in the toilet vs other currencies. The international travelers set the market. If you want a cheap stay go to Omaha. They don't get so much international trade. They still think the dollar is worth something.

How odd! My brother just invited me to visit him in Omaha. I said no.

• Members

Happy to be able to choose between three hotel loyalty programs in which I have points for times when NYC or other locales are beyond my budget.

Really makes whatever savings Priceline/Hotels.com etc,,, provides look very meager IMO

last year I spent around $1,600 with Hyatt to acheive Diamond status and earn enough points for 5 nights in Paris(a $4,000 value)

October in NYC will also be on points since rooms are running over $300 a night for dumps.I will be staying at a the brand new Hyatt 48th an Lex! Oh did I mention as a Diamond I get free breakfast?

• Members

Happy to be able to choose between three hotel loyalty programs in which I have points for times when NYC or other locales are beyond my budget.

Really makes whatever savings Priceline/Hotels.com etc,,, provides look very meager IMO

last year I spent around $1,600 with Hyatt to acheive Diamond status and earn enough points for 5 nights in Paris(a $4,000 value)

October in NYC will also be on points since rooms are running over $300 a night for dumps.I will be staying at a the brand new Hyatt 48th an Lex! Oh did I mention as a Diamond I get free breakfast?

So if you bring some rough trade to your room, does that make you a diamond in the rough?

• Members

May I be so bold as to ask how you spent $1600 and earned 5 nights worth of points? Did you drop a zero? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I can't answer that question, but a few years ago I had a similar experience with Marriott. They had a promotion where you had to stay so many nights and then won these prizes. I spent $790 to stay, I think 13 nights, always at the cheaper places, and in the end I won:

2 tickets anywhere Continental flew (I chose Japan)

8 free nights at the Marriott Marquis in New York

One week free rental from Hertz

and, a collection of coupons good at Marriott shops and other places.

So, over $4000 in prizes for $790. They never repeated that offer.

• Members

Last year Hyatt wanted to attract a LOT of people to its hotels and frequent guest program. This was in anticipation of Hyatt going public(The Pritzkers want to spin it off)and also to bulk up their mailing list for the Chase credit card they issued late in 2010. The bonuses and promos were VERY generous-ridicoulously so in some cases.If I would have jumped on the Hyatt bandawgon sooner I could have gotten much more in bonus point.

So yes-it took me sixteen stays averageing $100 each via a challenge to make Diamond.And each of those stays had a very generous amount of bonus points and even some free nights.

My points from last year went towards five nights at The Park Hyatt. The rates during my stay were around $700 a night. I also got a lovely free breakfast for two every morning(which runs 45 EU per person :w00t: )and since it was a points stay-no taxes!

This year sadly-Hyatt is being ultra stingy with their bonuses.But I have enough points already for 4 nights at the new Hyatt at 48th and Lexington in October :D

Guest JamesIvory

My points from last year went towards five nights at The Park Hyatt. The rates during my stay were around $700 a night. I also got a lovely free breakfast for two every morning(which runs 45 EU per person :w00t: )and since it was a points stay-no taxes!

You caught a excellent deal. I believe there are other loyalty deals still around just more difficult to find.

My one question to you is why is your room quested in US dollars and your meal quoted in Euros?

• Members

TP-

Thanks for the reply. It seems there is not necessarily any rhyme or reason for such largesse but glad you were one beneficiary.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest StevenDraker

Lucky, come and stay with me. ;)

I paid $190 per night for a 4-star property (the Element hotel by Westin) a brand new property that opened last year in Times Square on 39th & 8th next to Port Authority. Modern contemporary design and comfort a seasoned traveller is used to. Thank you, Starwood SPG.

• Members

Lucky, come and stay with me. ;)

I paid $190 per night for a 4-star property (the Element hotel by Westin) a brand new property that opened last year in Times Square on 39th & 8th next to Port Authority. Modern contemporary design and comfort a seasoned traveller is used to. Thank you, Starwood SPG.

Umm, lookin at your travel schedule, I don't see New York!